1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broken leg?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CBee, Jan 22, 2009.

1. CBee

CBee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    Asheville, NC
    I just noticed the past day or two that one of my hens has been resting with one foot pulled up, like flamingoes stand. Watching her peck around, just now, I noticed every couple of steps she will wobble and her one leg goes in a funny direction. I'm 100% positive her leg is broken, so is there anything at home I can do? If not, I'll just have to take her to our vet tomorrow.... [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  2. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    I'm afraid you have to actually catch her and see if the foot is out of alignment. In any case she'd be safer in a small enclosure indoors if she's either injured or ill because either can cause shock and death at lower temps.

3. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

You can splint it. I had a hen I could not catch and I just left her be. She healed and all she has is a little bump. No use on spending money at the vet. Just use a popsickle(how ever you spell it) stick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by