Broken leg

Nov 25, 2021
wa
Hi! Yesterday one of my free ranging Guineas possibly broke her leg.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)

Guinea. She is half a year. And she is a little thinner than the others.

2) What is the behavior, exactly?

limping, holding leg up and laying down.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?

2 days.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?

no.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
maybe a broken bone.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

Maybe she flew of the roost and broke a leg.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Country companion "All Flock" and water with Apple cider vinegar and vitamins.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.

Normal but sometimes Runny.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
I did this: https://www.backyardchickensmama.com/fix-a-broken-chicken-leg-with-4-dollar-store-items/

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I would like to do it my self.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use.

wood savings, in a big cage in a barn.

Be careful to check circulation in the foot to make sure the splint is not too tight, since tape and wrap can move. What part of the leg is injured? Is there any swelling, redness, or green bruising? Pictures may help. For a sprain forcing rest in a wire dog crate with food and water may be all that is necessary. For a broken bone, the area above and blow the fracture should be splinted if the bones are aligned. This splinting manual below shows the skeleton and bones of the legs and splinting techniques:
https://theiwrc.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf

Be careful to check circulation in the foot to make sure the splint is not too tight, since tape and wrap can move. What part of the leg is injured? Is there any swelling, redness, or green bruising? Pictures may help. For a sprain forcing rest in a wire dog crate with food and water may be all that is necessary. For a broken bone, the area above and blow the fracture should be splinted if the bones are aligned. This splinting manual below shows the skeleton and bones of the legs and splinting techniques:
https://theiwrc.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf
Her leg looks normal no swelling or discoloring. So we cannot tell if there is a break, how do you tell? Thank you for your reply

An xray by the vet could tell, but not always available or affordable. Do you have any pictures? When they hold the leg up, it could be broken or it could be sprained. You might just go with forcing her to rest it in a dog crate.

A while back I had a game hen who lost her leg. We think she may have got it caught in something and broke it struggling free. We amputated and she lived another several very happy years hopping about on her remaining leg!

Now limping again. :( Some good Days some bad.
Do you feel some hard swelling where you thought the fracture was? That is called a calus where the bone has healed. She may also have sprained it and injured it again, or has developed arthritis. Would anything show up in a picture? Can she get around well enough to eat and drink plenty?

Do you feel some hard swelling where you thought the fracture was? That is called a calus where the bone has healed. She may also have sprained it and injured it again, or has developed arthritis. Would anything show up in a picture? Can she get around well enough to eat and drink plenty?
Will check for swelling. She can walk just slower then the others. Nothing would show up in a picture.

Back
Top Bottom