Broken legs

Jdostlik

Hatching
May 2, 2022
Hello...I have a Silkie Hen that it seems her perch fell over night and she seems to have broken both legs . Her right panetella on the top of her Tibia. Then on her left leg maybe her hip dislocated? Or the phlange coming down from her Fibia? I dont know. She is 2 years old but small and it is hard to tell. I have her in a sling and give her a type of physical therapy everyday...dust her and such. She is drinking and eating...Should I continue to hope she will heal this way? There is no bird vet here.... I need some experienced advise. Thank you

I'm not clear on where the injuries are, but the attachment below may help you. If they are able to be splinted then I would splint them. Breaks high on the femur often won't splint and might need pins put in surgically to heal up. If they can be splinted and stabilized then they may heal. Even an imperfect placement could give her a relatively normal life. When bones heal they will get a callus around the break, which will feel like a hard lump at that spot.

Attachments

• Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 15
She has no way to move her left leg apparently. I can only determine that is is completely dislocated. It has been a few days I dont know if I waited too long to fix it. Thank you for the splint manual. I plan to put something together today for her.

Attachments

• 20220502_114352.jpg
    20220502_114352.jpg
    485.8 KB · Views: 14
Does she sit like that all the time, with both legs out front? I would also give her some B complex vitamins. 1/2 a super B complex (human ones, regular not time release) every day. I've no way of knowing if she has a break or not, but vitamin deficiencies can show up suddenly and that is a common body position for riboflavin deficiency. The B's are very safe to give, even if it's something else, the extra will be excreted.

Unfortunately this chicken didn't make it. Too many injuries. Thank you for all the inquiries. It is always appreciated!
JD

Back
Top Bottom