broken neck...so scared

r&e_ellis

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 9, 2009
im brand new at this and something horrible just happened. i have three pullets. they are about 9 weeks old and just went to live outside full time. i had the nesting box blocked off and when i went out to check the girls this morning one of them had gotten her head under the board i was using. i have no idea how she could have done it. she doesnt seem to be able to move. there may be blood on her chest but im afraid to jostle her. she is just opening and closing her little beak and there is white milky stuff in her mouth. its a sunday and my vet is closed, help!

I'm sorry sweetie, you probally need to do the kind thing, and end her suffering.
hit.gif
hugs.gif

Was her head crushed, or just stuck? If it was just stuck, give her some water and take her in the house in a box. Keep her quiet and try to get her to drink.Try putting a little sugar in her water to get her moving. Her opening and closeing her beak might be because she is hot or stressed. You need to check and see if she has blood or other injuries. Keep us posted, and good luck.

I agree with patyrdz. Watch her, keep hydrated, Feed her boiled egg if you can....
You can put a few drips on her beak of water (sugar water) to see if she will try and drink them.
She is in shock from trauma, so watch her and give supportive care.
I will keep checking in so keep us updated.
Good Luck with your Chickie!

she didnt make it. she got up and was walking around but covering her neck. i took her to the emergency vet. her trachea had been torn. she was humanely euthanized and now is burried in a quiet spot in the back yard. this is a sad day in the ellis house.

I feel your pain. I lost one of my favorite hens last night in a freak accident that caused a nesting box platform to collapse onto her while she was in a lower level box and she got her head trapped between the edge of her box and the box that collapsed onto her and suffocated. (hard to explain, but it wasn't due to neglect -- if someone really NEEDS the details, pm me & I'll explain more in depth.) I just wanted to let you know I am sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom