Broken or deformed toe

tsuya

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 5, 2013
Snohomish in the PNW
Hello there! I am new to chicken keeping and I have three eight week old chicks going out to their coop this weekend. However, my blue Wyandotte (Mallyumpkin) seems to have a broken toe. I noticed it not long after she came home but it didn't look like an injury so I didn't do anything. Now that she's bigger though, her toe is at a 90* bend. It doesn't seem to bother her and I can't tell if it's broken or just deformed. She does have a bit of an unbalanced walk and when I hold her she wants to lean up against me for support but other than that she's fine.

Should I do something about it? Take her to a vet? I'll try to post a picture later tonight of her foot.
Thanks!
Tsu

I hope it's ok I reply to this. If its not bothering her then why worry? Unless it make it hard for her to get around then I wouldn't do any thing

I hope it's ok I reply to this. If its not bothering her then why worry? Unless it make it hard for her to get around then I wouldn't do any thing

Honestly that's what I was thinking but I guess I'm just being a worry wort!
smile.png
These are my first hens and I don't want any of them to be suffering. Anyway here is a photo of her foot, she does have a bit of limp and it is hard for her to roost.

Don't mind all of her other toes, they are fine. She was just trying to get a better grip even through I had a good hold on her.

Yeah I really don't think you should worry. If she has trouble roosting, you could maybe get her a little box, or make a ledge in your coop. I had a chicken who just didn't like to hold onto anything when she slept, so she just hoped onto a ledge we had

Hi and welcome to the wonderful world of chicken keeping
welcome-byc.gif
:)
I have a 2 year old hen with the exact same "problem" and with the exact same toes as your hen. I think they are deformed and I wouldnt worry about it :)
My hen (Baby) cannot roost but sleeps in a nesting box and gets around just fine. I really think Mallyumpkin will be perfecty fine and will eventually be more stable.
I wish you the best for your adventure with chickens :)

<3 kelsey
this is my chickie Baby's toe (the other foot looks the same)

Back
Top Bottom