BROKEN SPUR!šŸ“

ashlierami

Crowing
5 Years
Feb 9, 2017
Alabama
I have a rooster with a broken spur. It's about 3 inches long. It's broken where it comes out of the leg. I washed it with antibac soap and applied antibac ointment and wrapped it. He hopes on one leg to walk. He eats and drinks and takes his girls out still. What should I do?

He might be hopping because it hurts, but it should stop hurting soon and heā€™ll grow another eventually.
This is day 2. I have been checking his foot daily due to the bumble foot and noticed it 2 days ago. I have been giving him baby aspirin and it seems to help with the pain. Will the spur heal back or fall off?

Bumble foot can get bad if you donā€™t cut it out. Iā€™ve had to do that with my birds. I donā€™t think he needs aspirin, though. His spur should grow back. Sometimes, people even twist off the spurs so they canā€™t injure the hens, but those grow back too. I knew a rooster one who had these long curly spurs that had to be cut off otherwise theyā€™d grow into his leg. Itā€™s kind of like cutting fingernails.

Bumble foot can get bad if you donā€™t cut it out. Iā€™ve had to do that with my birds. I donā€™t think he needs aspirin, though. His spur should grow back. Sometimes, people even twist off the spurs so they canā€™t injure the hens, but those grow back too. I knew a rooster one who had these long curly spurs that had to be cut off otherwise theyā€™d grow into his leg. Itā€™s kind of like cutting fingernails.
Thank you so much. His bumble foot is better than it was.

Roosters do break spurs off. If it's right at the join it won't grow back.
If your roosters fight then you will need to keep an eye on the one with the broken spur because he will be at a disadvantage.

20200206_172740.jpg

I was able to successfully remove the spur. His limp was worse he was sitting more and his leg was swelling around the spur. I removed it tonight, washed it, ointment, gauze, wrap and put him to bed. I hope this solves his limp and total non use of the foot. Thank you to everyone who replied

Back
Top Bottom