Broken tail feathers 🪶

jupitereyes

Chirping
Feb 25, 2024
Morning y'all, I have two very cute Pekins that are approximately 8-9 weeks old. I just noticed a day or so ago that one now has some broken tail feathers. All the rest of his/her feathers are in good condition. Could this be over preening or some kind of vitamin deficiency? The other duckaroo shows no signs of breakage. Thanks for taking the time!

Attachments

• 20240525_112557.jpg
    20240525_112557.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 20240525_112619.jpg
    20240525_112619.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 11
Someone maybe pulling those tail feathers out. Sometimes ducklings will pull out flight feathers when coming in so There could also be some tail feathers being pulled out. Do they have plenty of space are they out foraging any during the day. So they aren't bored. They sure are pretty.

It happens. Are you using a vitamin supplement? What are you feeding them? What is their home looking like?
They spend all day out in the coop, then come in at night. They swim in the tub in the morning and before bed, while I build their pond and duck house this weekend.

They eat purina duck pellets with added nutritional yeast and some rooster booster sprinkled in. Frozen peas, frozen corn, blueberries and strawberries as treats... and grass they pull up in the run haha.

attached pic of their platform in progress!
and free swim in the tub

Attachments

• 20240525_164228.jpg
    20240525_164228.jpg
    719.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 17166877766848263840204707165306.jpg
    17166877766848263840204707165306.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 2
They spend all day out in the coop, then come in at night. They swim in the tub in the morning and before bed, while I build their pond and duck house this weekend.

They eat purina duck pellets with added nutritional yeast and some rooster booster sprinkled in. Frozen peas, frozen corn, blueberries and strawberries as treats... and grass they pull up in the run haha.

attached pic of their platform in progress!
and free swim in the tub
What do their sleeping quarters look like though? Is it a kennel? Everything else sounds great

Someone maybe pulling those tail feathers out. Sometimes ducklings will pull out flight feathers when coming in so There could also be some tail feathers being pulled out. Do they have plenty of space are they out foraging any during the day. So they aren't bored. They sure are pretty.
Luckily, I don't see any signs of feathers plucked all the way from the skin. They stay in the run for the better part of the day, 26'x15' minus the chicken coop. We have racoons and bears that are very active, even in the day right now. The bears have been spotted behind my house three times this season so far 😳 I do think they could use some more enrichment. Do you have any suggestions?

Luckily, I don't see any signs of feathers plucked all the way from the skin. They stay in the run for the better part of the day, 26'x15' minus the chicken coop. We have racoons and bears that are very active, even in the day right now. The bears have been spotted behind my house three times this season so far 😳 I do think they could use some more enrichment. Do you have any suggestions?
Bobbing for food in the tub would be great. Frozen peas are fantastic for that

What do their sleeping quarters look like though? Is it a kennel? Everything else sounds great
They sleep in the empty clawfoot tub on a doubled up towel with a bin for splashing and kibbles. Looking forward to getting them out in their duck house.

Back
Top Bottom