Broken Thigh Baby Chick

Jun 3, 2021
One of the chicks fell and broke her leg. It's broken up in the fluffy part, chicken anatomy diagrams say it's her thigh. It's dangling and flopping, she keeps twisting it at the break so I'm holding her. She can't seem to move that leg. No swelling that I can see, and no blood. I'm not sure what I can do for her, I want to give her a chance. Would post a pic but there's nothing to see at all. I can feel the break and it seems clean.

If it is for sure her thigh bone that is broken you need either a vet or if that is not an option I would highly consider culling. The femur bone even in humans is notoriously hard to heal properly and more often than not requires surgery for recovery along with extensive physical therapy to heal. It is also an extremely painful fracture.

I'm sorry about your chick.

If you have vet care, that's always best. Not sure if you can splint/fix the leg. You may find the splinting guide helpful.
https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...571c8fa4ad7/1575915881750/Avian+Splinting.pdf

Curious how old is the chick and how far did she fall? Poor little thing:(
Our brooder is on a table about 3 feet off the floor, and that's where she fell. I've moved the brooder and fixed it so there's no chance it can happen again, but thankfully the baby is doing amazing! Her leg is back in use and she's actually the most energetic out of the hatch :)

If it is for sure her thigh bone that is broken you need either a vet or if that is not an option I would highly consider culling. The femur bone even in humans is notoriously hard to heal properly and more often than not requires surgery for recovery along with extensive physical therapy to heal. It is also an extremely painful fracture.
Thankfully she's back to moving her leg and it seems fully healed, I'm really glad she's doing ok. I did end up taking her into the vet and they set the bone and gave me some antibiotics in case of any infection

Our brooder is on a table about 3 feet off the floor, and that's where she fell. I've moved the brooder and fixed it so there's no chance it can happen again, but thankfully the baby is doing amazing! Her leg is back in use and she's actually the most energetic out of the hatch :)
Accidents happen, chicks can get away quickly for sure.
I'm glad to hear the vet was able to set her bone and she's doing great!
Hope she continues to heal and do well. Thank you for the update:)

Back
Top Bottom