Broken toe joint

I didn’t notice anything around her toe. I did try to split it, but it wasn’t working well so I took it off. I tied twice, with it being less than 8 hours on both times.

She is no longer walking and supporting herself with her wings when she wants to move.

There is nothing else that I can tell is wrong with her. Everything feels right on her, but tonight it did seem her vent was slightly enlarged. Since she isn’t moving much she is getting I cut away some of her feathers around the vent and socking her always once a day.

I feed them organic layer feed. They free range during the day. Treats I give them are kitchen vegetables, fruit and bread scraps, scratch, and at times milworms. I am giving her the feed, granite grit, and a few grapes and milworms since those are her favorites. Along with apple cider vinegar in her water.

I would check her for a stuck egg by inserting one finger into her vent about 2 inches, where it should normally feel just soft. Use a glove if you have one. Here toe appears more broken or deformed, but her curled toes and not being able to walk sounds suspicious for Mareks disease unfortunately.

Riboflavin deficiency could be possible instead, so I would give her some vitamin B complex—1/4 tablet crushed onto some cooked egg or a treat. Also, cut way back on the treats and other foods, to make sure that she is taking chicken feed for 90% of her food intake. Calcium in crushed oyster shell can help with egg shells and a deficiency can cause egg binding.

It is always good to keep some source of calcium available for them to take free choice, and oyster shell is inexpensive. I also collect my egg shells, and throw them out for the chickens to eat since they are pure calcium.

Back
Top Bottom