broken toe or toes

Stephann09

In the Brooder
May 9, 2022
Hi there,

My duck decided to escape from her coop and adventure out into the barn where she got her foot smashed by a rat trap. It looks as if she broke her middle toe and I feel a break in the middle. I feel horrible!!! I have started her on IBU and isolated her to a small dog crate. She is eating and drinking. She can stand on one leg for a short period of time. But she falls over to one side when trying to walk. Any advice would be great!! We don't have a bird doc in town.

You can make a boot for her to give her foot support also soaking her foot in warm Epsom salt water can help with swelling and soreness.

I've never made a boot out of a pool noodle but others on here have
You do want her to rest and not walk around much for at least 2-5 days to give the bone time to begin to heal.
and there are these
https://www.mypetchicken.com/products/splints-for-curled-toe-broken-legs-broken-feet-4-sizes
Be sure if you make a boot or buy one you wrap the vet wrap up above the ankle so she can't get it off easily. These will help stabilize the foot while the bone heals.

Is the skin broken? you will need to treat any wounds

Thank you all for the help. I’ve been so sad and stressed. She has been in the house in a crate for 3 weeks and I see a small improvement. I let her take a bath every other day and that is the foot shown that is injured. I’m worried the baths are making it worse. The last photo is her good foot for comparison. I will go grab a pool noodle that is awesome. Thank you all so much for helping us!

Attachments

• IMG_3856.jpeg
    IMG_3856.jpeg
    492.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3857.jpeg
    IMG_3857.jpeg
    477.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3858.jpeg
    IMG_3858.jpeg
    500.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3862.jpeg
    IMG_3862.jpeg
    406.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3865.jpeg
    IMG_3865.jpeg
    423.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3866.jpeg
    IMG_3866.jpeg
    337 KB · Views: 5
oh no so sad Im sorry this must be so terrible for you and of course awful for ducky :hit yes please pictures
and what is IB

You can make a boot for her to give her foot support also soaking her foot in warm Epsom salt water can help with swelling and soreness.

I've never made a boot out of a pool noodle but others on here have
You do want her to rest and not walk around much for at least 2-5 days to give the bone time to begin to heal.
and there are these
https://www.mypetchicken.com/products/splints-for-curled-toe-broken-legs-broken-feet-4-sizes
Be sure if you make a boot or buy one you wrap the vet wrap up above the ankle so she can't get it off easily. These will help stabilize the foot while the bone heals.

Is the skin broken? you will need to treat any wounds

oh no so sad Im sorry this must be so terrible for you and of course awful for ducky :hit yes please pictures
and what is IBU
Ibuprofen.

It takes time for bones to heal so don't get discouraged.
Why do you think letting her bathe is making it worse?
I was letting her bath everyday. I noticed she was moving her foot back and forth. So I was worried it was causing more strain on her toes. So now she gets the tub every other day. I made her a splint out of a pool noodle and see managed to keep it on for 12 hours before removing it herself. Her attitude is back so I feel she’s on the mend.

Back
Top Bottom