Broken toe

artsvarc

Songster
Apr 24, 2020
Eastern Iowa, USA
My 5 week old chicks have been in the coop 3 days now. I noticed today, she was limping, holding her foot up and noticed her bent toe. I'm thinking she broke it jumping off the roost bar? What is the best route, let heal on its own or separate and try and splint it somehow? I searched and really couldn't find an answer to what's best. Thank you.

Attachments

• 20200516_153724.jpg
    20200516_153724.jpg
    503.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 20200516_153018.jpg
    20200516_153018.jpg
    783.1 KB · Views: 12
Are you talking about the bent under toe on her left foot in the first picture? If she is doing that tomorrow, you might want to make her a shoe with tape on the top and bottom of her foot with the toes in a normal position. If she is still limping in the morning I would separate her in a dog crate with food and water for a few days to aee if that helps. Look for green bruising, redness, swelling, or displacement of bones on the leg.

Are you talking about the bent under toe on her left foot in the first picture? If she is doing that tomorrow, you might want to make her a shoe with tape on the top and bottom of her foot with the toes in a normal position. If she is still limping in the morning I would separate her in a dog crate with food and water for a few days to aee if that helps. Look for green bruising, redness, swelling, or displacement of bones on the leg.
Yes, the bent toe. I'll check on her tomorrow and move her back to the basement for a bit.

I read all kinds of advice on fixing a chicken's broken toe. People said splint it. On someone's advice I got a pipe cleaner to hold the toe straight, wrapped the toe, and taped it making sure the tape stuck to the skin on the foot. Well, the other birds saw it and began pecking at it. They removed the splint, fought over the tape and one bird swallowed the pipe cleaner before I could catch her. Now I am sick because I have a bird with a broken toe... she isn't bothered by it, and another bird that may suffer a puncture somewhere along the alimentary system. I think I should have left well enough alone! If anyone has had success splinting a toe I would love to hear about it.

I read all kinds of advice on fixing a chicken's broken toe. People said splint it. On someone's advice I got a pipe cleaner to hold the toe straight, wrapped the toe, and taped it making sure the tape stuck to the skin on the foot. Well, the other birds saw it and began pecking at it. They removed the splint, fought over the tape and one bird swallowed the pipe cleaner before I could catch her. Now I am sick because I have a bird with a broken toe... she isn't bothered by it, and another bird that may suffer a puncture somewhere along the alimentary system. I think I should have left well enough alone! If anyone has had success splinting a toe I would love to hear about it.
I hope all turns out ok. I ended up leaving it alone, the splint kept falling off. It's been weeks now, it doesn't bother her, she's not limping. I do see she favors out when jumping off the roost. That's all.

Back
Top Bottom