broken wing or something else?

cheecharrones

In the Brooder
Oct 8, 2020
loxahatchee florida
hi everyone!! i just picked up 3 new chicks on friday (welsummer, cuckoo maran & a legbar). the welsummer and the legbar are doing just fine but my maran has low energy, she looks thin, and both her wings are very very droopy. i’ve been taking her out of the brooder a few times a day to feed and water her separately, just to make sure she’s actually getting nutrients, bc i don’t see her eating while in the brooder. she eats& drinks just fine on her own but the other symptoms have me worried. both her wings are very very droopy. i’ve googled “chicks with broken wings” and it kind of looks like that’s what’s happening, but i’m a novice so i’m not sure! i handle all of them very very gently so i’m not sure how they could have gotten broken, which makes me think it’s something else. vent is clear, belly button looks fine, and as i mentioned she does eat and drink. anyone have any ideas?? thanks in advance!!!

hi everyone!! i just picked up 3 new chicks on friday (welsummer, cuckoo maran & a legbar). the welsummer and the legbar are doing just fine but my maran has low energy, she looks thin, and both her wings are very very droopy. i’ve been taking her out of the brooder a few times a day to feed and water her separately, just to make sure she’s actually getting nutrients, bc i don’t see her eating while in the brooder. she eats& drinks just fine on her own but the other symptoms have me worried. both her wings are very very droopy. i’ve googled “chicks with broken wings” and it kind of looks like that’s what’s happening, but i’m a novice so i’m not sure! i handle all of them very very gently so i’m not sure how they could have gotten broken, which makes me think it’s something else. vent is clear, belly button looks fine, and as i mentioned she does eat and drink. anyone have any ideas?? thanks in advance!!!
Please post some photos of the chick and her poop. If you are using a red heat lamp in your brooder turn that off to take photos, Thank You.

How old is she?
What do you feed?

Please post some photos of the chick and her poop. If you are using a red heat lamp in your brooder turn that off to take photos, Thank You.

How old is she?
What do you feed?
thank you for your response!! the poop in the photo is fresh, she didn’t seem to have any issue (straining) passing it. she’s 5 days old. today she is very stumbley, she doesn’t walk well at all. i feed them purina unmedicated start and grow. the other 2 are so lively and fluffy in comparison to her!

Attachments

• 5CC9E3E4-4AB5-4847-B0CA-A51BA1D814ED.jpeg
    5CC9E3E4-4AB5-4847-B0CA-A51BA1D814ED.jpeg
    446.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 690453FC-979B-414A-B186-A61548C5CE30.jpeg
    690453FC-979B-414A-B186-A61548C5CE30.jpeg
    398.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 5636F824-0301-4E7C-84A9-0243A72E0734.jpeg
    5636F824-0301-4E7C-84A9-0243A72E0734.jpeg
    565.3 KB · Views: 10
  • B0442D6B-FD13-4929-A83C-1B1661CB4B62.jpeg
    B0442D6B-FD13-4929-A83C-1B1661CB4B62.jpeg
    426.5 KB · Views: 10
I don't think her wings are broken. She's runty.
The poop looks to have some mucous.

Here's the dilemna. I would be inclined to get some vitamins into her but also treat for Coccidiosis. Since you don't want to give addition B1 when giving Corid, this is what I would do.
I would give her 2-3 drops of Poultry Nutri-Drench for 2 days to see if she improves. IF she's still stumbly and not doing well, then I would begin treating with Corid.
Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp per gallon of water and Powdered Corid is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water. Give for 5-7 as the only source of drinking water. All the chicks can drink the medicated water.

I'll tag in @Eggcessive and @coach723 to get their thoughts as well.

I don't think the wings are broken either. I think I would do as @Wyorp Rock suggested. If during the vitamin time she gets worse, or droppings look worse, then I'd stop the vitamins and start Corid. When they are this small it can be very hard to know what's going on with them, whether it an incubation/hatch issue, stress of being transported, or something else. Some vitamin deficiencies can actually happen while they are developing in the egg. Some chicks just don't thrive. I have carried chicks in a neckerchief around my neck on occasion for a day or two, like a hammock resting on my upper chest, where I can talk and hum to them between getting fluids in them, keeps them warm and seems to help with some. If droppings become different, post pictures of them.

I agree with others that she appears to be dehydrated and needs a boost. Dip her beak in water often to get her drinking, and give the Poultry NutriDrench today and for several days. The once she has drunk well, place some chick crumbles on a clean paper towel around her feet and tap them to get her attention. Hopefully she will perk up.

Back
Top Bottom