Bronchitis/cold

Valley chick

Chirping
Jun 17, 2020
Northern California
Advice please, I'm supposed to look at bantam polish hen, around 11 mo. But found last summer flock had bronchitis/cold, they treated with antibiotics thru veterinarian, has been fine since, from what I've read she would be a carrier? So I'm not so sure I should purchase her and chance anything in my small flock that has never been sick, would it be better to wait for them to hatch this year's chicks and purchase one of those? I don't believe it can be passed on thru egg 6 months after treatment. Advice on this greatly appreciated

"Infectious Bronchitis​

Synonyms: IB, bronchitis, cold

Species affected: Infectious bronchitis is a disease of chickens only. A similar disease occurs in bobwhite quail (quail bronchitis), but it is caused by a different virus.

Clinical signs: The severity of infectious bronchitis infection is influenced by the age and immune status of the flock, by environmental conditions, and by the presence of other diseases. Feed and water consumption declines. Affected chickens will be chirping, with a watery discharge from the eyes and nostrils, and labored breathing with some gasping in young chickens. Breathing noises are more noticeable at night while the birds rest. Egg production drops dramatically. Production will recover in 5 or 6 weeks, but at a lower rate. The infectious bronchitis virus infects many tissues of the body, including the reproductive tract (see Table 1). Eggshells become rough and the egg white becomes watery. (See publication PS-24, Egg Quality, for other causes of poor egg quality.)

Transmission: Infectious bronchitis is a very contagious poultry disease. It is spread by air, feed bags, infected dead birds, infected houses, and rodents. The virus can be egg-transmitted, however, affected embryos usually will not hatch.

Treatment: There is no specific treatment for infectious bronchitis. Antibiotics for 3–5 days may aid in combating secondary bacterial infections. Raise the room temperature 5°F for brooding-age chickens until symptoms subside. Baby chicks can be encouraged to eat by using a warm, moist mash.

Prevention: Establish and enforce a biosecurity program. Vaccinations are available."

Cut from the UoF web page here: https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
●<><><>●<><><><>●<><><><>●

IB is one of the rare, true cold like viruses that chickens are susceptible to, but unlike IL or mycoplasmosis, they don't carry it for life, only damage that may have been caused during the period they had it. Personally, if someone told me they're flock had bronchitis, I would be concerned that they wouldn't know the difference between bronchitis and some of the other nastier diseases that have similar symptoms. All I can suggest is to be vigilant and make sure you quarantine properly to keep your biosecurity intact if you do decide to take an addition from their flock!

Back
Top Bottom