1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bronsea humidity

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by henney penny, Feb 26, 2017.

1. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    I don't have time to do a search so hoping I can get some help and tips for my Brinsea octagon Advance with turner.Its winter here so keeping humidity to 30-35℅ for the first 18 days has been hard,have to keep adding water everyday.Worried about lockdown and keeping it at60-65℅.I may just have to break down and buy the humidity pump that goes with it but hate to spend that much money.What do u all do to keep it up for the last few days so I don't have to open to keep adding water.This is my first hatch in this after having styrofoam gators.Thanks

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    You can add water to the channels, and then use an absorbent cloth / material (with part of the cloth submerged in the water in the channel) as this will increase the surface area from which moisture can evaporate, hence bumping up the humidity. A sponge would work also.

3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I use sponges.

4. silkie Me Me

silkie Me Me Just Hatched

Dec 27, 2016
    I see I spelled Brinsea wrong,lol, Thanks everyone for your replies,someone suggested using Viva paper towels in the wells,going to give that a try this time,if it doesn`t work then the sponges next time

5. silkie Me Me

silkie Me Me Just Hatched

Dec 27, 2016
    They are in lockdown with the viva paper towels,56% is as high as I can get it so that will have to do,I think it well be fine

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by