Bronze broad breasted turkey

The broad breasted turkey is very similar to the Cornish X chicken, developed to live a limited amount of time and be harvested. They are not designed to live a long time. A lot of the research that goes into Broad breasted turkeys and Cornish X chickens is in how to keep the breeding flocks alive and healthy enough to provide hatching eggs. It is a delicate balance and I don't have access to those studies. A lot of research is in how to just keep them alive and healthy until they even reach butcher size. If you read the above posts I think you can see that reflected in their comments.

It is your turkey and you can do as you wish. Plenty of people try to keep Cornish X alive as pets or as a breeding project so you won't be alone in your efforts. Since trying to keep a broad breasted turkey alive requires pretty specialized knowledge you might start a thread in the "Turkey" section of this forum. I'll provide a link.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/turkeys.20/

People have raised meat birds as pets before, so it is possible. Although it seems they never live much more than a year before getting the inevitable health issues, and it's a battle the whole way to keep their legs and hearts healthy. And you often have to feed them separate or limit the whole flock's feed so they don't overeat. It takes A LOT of management.

I don't want to sound judgemental and I know I'm not 100% answering your question, but I don't really think it's humane to keep meat birds as pets. I think maybe you could extend its life a little (a few months?), but when you notice it's starting to have leg or heart issues, the best thing to do would be to dispatch it. It's sad, but it's just the nature of the breeding. However, what you do is your choice. Just wanted to throw in my two cents.

I have fell into owning a one week old bronze broad breasted turkey, I have seen where the life expectancy is only 6m... How true is this? I'd like to keep it as a pet and not dinner if able.

I'm currently feeding it a mix of the 20% chick starter and nutritional yeast.
My Tom is about 5 years old and living a great life.

Attachments

• 73735FA9-45AE-45FA-9CE6-6DCF876B141E.jpeg
    73735FA9-45AE-45FA-9CE6-6DCF876B141E.jpeg
    595.1 KB · Views: 4
I have fell into owning a one week old bronze broad breasted turkey, I have seen where the life expectancy is only 6m... How true is this? I'd like to keep it as a pet and not dinner if able.

I'm currently feeding it a mix of the 20% chick starter and nutritional yeast.
Turkeys need more protein, 28% - 30%.
Forget the chick starter, go get a bag of Turkey starter! You’ll have to feed the turkey away from the chicks, because the chicks will always choose the turkeys food over the chick starter.
Again, turkeys need MORE protein!

Back
Top Bottom