Brood Box Time

Lee KZN

In the Brooder
Feb 1, 2021
So searched the forums and found out its best to keep chick's in a bruiser box for 6 weeks, or until they start getting adult plumage.

However my question is slightly different. So I have the incubator and brood box. But also have an outside setup as such.

The old chicken coop is sectioned off. In the one section the old nesting boxes are thickly lined with cut grass, and I have installed a 40 watt light bulb inside.

The side of the coop is covered with plastic to prevent wind chill.

I'd like to know if advisable to keep the chick's in the brooder until they've grown a bit and got nice fluffy bodies, then at around 2 weeks move then into the outside setup where it will be warm during the day, and at night the lights will be on.

I find that the brooder seems to get so over crowded as they grow and feel its a bit cruel on them....

I'd leave them in this setup till about 6 weeks, when I'll move them into the grow out enclosure until the big enough to roam free....

Thoughts?

They are Brahma and Orpington chick's. Currently around 12 days old...

Hope pics are clear. Had to compress right down 🙈

Attachments

• 20210228_141355.jpg
    20210228_141355.jpg
    563.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 20210228_141505.jpg
    20210228_141505.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 6
  • 20210228_141814.jpg
    20210228_141814.jpg
    861.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210228_141819.jpg
    20210228_141819.jpg
    798.3 KB · Views: 5
I think your plan sounds good. The main consideration would be how cold your outdoor temperatures are at night. As long as the chicks can stay warm enough they should be just fine.

Yes, and no.

I'll start with the no - a light bulb close to dried and drying straw, hay, grass, etc just screams fire danger to me - particularly as I've had multiple bulbs break this year, in more weather sheltered locations than that.

Then the yes. I agree. I use a 27 gal tote as a brooder, its (roughly) 31" x 20" x 14". I find it good for 8-10 chickens, or half as many ducks, for perhaps a couple weeks. After that, I move to a weather sheltered spot in a shed (roughly 4.5' x 3.5') approx twice the area to get a little more growth on them, and from there to a roll out PVC and netting grow-out box I keep in the barn then "chicken tractor" on good days while the flock free ranges. It can as easily move into the run overnight when the weather is good. Measures either 4'x6' or 6'x10'. depending on which wall sections I'm using.

Agree with the staggered approach to raising and integrating your flocks, but I would look for alternatives to that light bulb.

Thanks guys... Good point. Didn't think about the globe bursting. Fusing yes, bursting no...

Then think will look at alternatives to bedding. Something not so attractive to fire 😆

But glad I'm on the right track at least. Just need to do a few fine adjustments.

Luckily here right now, it isn't very cold. Summer drawing to a close so gets cool, but not cold. So they shouldn't be too uncomfortable...

Back
Top Bottom