Brood on demand?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Newchickenguy, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Newchickenguy

Newchickenguy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2012
    Is it possable to get a chicken to brood on demand. In other words, if one day I decide I want to hatch out some eggs and collect like 10 eggs and pile them in a nest, is there a chicken that is so broody they will set them? If so what kind of chicken??

2. LupineChickens

LupineChickens New Egg

Dec 29, 2012
    Although I'm not that experienced in that area, I know that you can't really make a hen get broody on demand. I think that if you already have a slightly broody hen, there are things you can do to help her. When I've had broody hens that I don't want broody, the best way to do it is to put them in a somewhat uncomfortable setting and limit their heat sources. So- if you make a chicken comfortable and warm, it might help get them broody. You can go to this website and see what is says (for the breeds)-

http://blog.mcmurrayhatchery.com/2011/08/23/which-chicken-breeds-are-the-most-likely-to-go-broody/

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Nope, not dependably. You can try silkies or game hens, they're your best bets. But I wouldn't order eggs and count on someone going broody!

I do think a good clutch of eggs in a nest can help trigger a hen to go broody. It's not 100% reliable, but I think those that tend to go broody would be helped along by some sacrifice eggs, golf balls, etc in the nest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by