Brooder Base?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by yanks26, Mar 28, 2009.

1. yanks26

yanks26 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2009
    Connecticut
    What can I use for a brooder base? I heard wood shavings are good but I would prefer to use something that I did not have to buy.

Would shredded paper work? Also, how often must the base be changed?

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

You can use paper towels too. Shredded paper does work.

3. azelgin

azelgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    I use paper towels for the first three days and then switch to shredded junk mail.

4. hennypenny9

hennypenny9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Yes, we always used shredded newspaper. (I've also read there is something bad in the ink, but I'm just saying we used it and were okay) and you change the paper when you can't stand the smell anymore! [​IMG]

But really, you only have to change it once it gets damp/wet from water and poo and whatnot.

5. greengardengirl

greengardengirl Out Of The Brooder

I tried using paper towel for the first couple of weeks, but it gets really gross really quickly. I was changing it once or twice a day. My chicks started eating the paper towel, so I switched to wood chips. Wood chips are very very cheap (huuuuge bag for $7CAD in the very expensive city I live in), and I only change them once a week (or when it's gotten just too smelly!).

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

I have raised all of my chicks in this wire brooder. There are catch trays under the brooder with shavings in it. Also a tray in the brooder with pine shavings in it for the chicks to scratch, peck in and sleep in. The water and feed stays clean. I have never had any problems with their feet going through the wire and they grow so fast.

7. yanks26

yanks26 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:Yes, we always used shredded newspaper. (I've also read there is something bad in the ink, but I'm just saying we used it and were okay) and you change the paper when you can't stand the smell anymore! [​IMG]

But really, you only have to change it once it gets damp/wet from water and poo and whatnot.

How long does a bag of wood shavings like that last for?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by