Brooder Base?

yanks26

Songster
11 Years
Jan 9, 2009
Connecticut
What can I use for a brooder base? I heard wood shavings are good but I would prefer to use something that I did not have to buy.

Would shredded paper work? Also, how often must the base be changed?

Quote:
Yes, we always used shredded newspaper. (I've also read there is something bad in the ink, but I'm just saying we used it and were okay) and you change the paper when you can't stand the smell anymore!
gig.gif

But really, you only have to change it once it gets damp/wet from water and poo and whatnot.

I tried using paper towel for the first couple of weeks, but it gets really gross really quickly. I was changing it once or twice a day. My chicks started eating the paper towel, so I switched to wood chips. Wood chips are very very cheap (huuuuge bag for $7CAD in the very expensive city I live in), and I only change them once a week (or when it's gotten just too smelly!).

trip07-1.jpg

I have raised all of my chicks in this wire brooder. There are catch trays under the brooder with shavings in it. Also a tray in the brooder with pine shavings in it for the chicks to scratch, peck in and sleep in. The water and feed stays clean. I have never had any problems with their feet going through the wire and they grow so fast.

Quote:
Yes, we always used shredded newspaper. (I've also read there is something bad in the ink, but I'm just saying we used it and were okay) and you change the paper when you can't stand the smell anymore!
gig.gif

But really, you only have to change it once it gets damp/wet from water and poo and whatnot.

How long does a bag of wood shavings like that last for?

Back
Top Bottom