Brooder Bedding & Dust

Azure Acres

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 10, 2014
NW Missouri
What seems to be the best bedding for the brooder as far as creating the least dust? We've finally decided to just brood inside since our weather can't seem to be consistent. I'm not concerned about the noise, only smell and dust. I plan to clean things up daily or multiple times daily, but want to help myself out by using the cleanest bedding possible. I've thought about puppy pads, but can't find any that aren't scented or free of an added attractant. Any suggestions?

We had our first chicks last year. We did have the brooder in the basement and will again this year. We put a blanket up to keep dust from going all over the basement. We used large pine shaving and the dust was not that bad. We had 18 chicks in a brooder I made that was 27"x 53". Good luck & have fun.

Thanks. We have an earth contact house that is one story with no garage so everything is all on one level and all living space. I wish there was somewhere to confine it, but just not an option for our house. I keep seeing mixed reviews on shavings. Some say it isn't very dusty and some say it's awful for dust. I guess it's all relative.

I am new to this, will get my chickens mid Feb but I have read many positive posts here and at the Chicken Chick's site about using paper towels over puppy pads for the first few days then switching to sand. That is my plan and it makes perfect sense to me in terms of dust and keeping a very clean brooder. Just my VERY humble opinion. My chicks are going to be in the house as well.

I've thought about sand, but I don't really want sand in my house. I have a feeling on LCD they are older it will kicked out and be all over the floors.

Does anyone know of anything that would be like puppy pads but without the added scents or attractants? I thought about incontinence pads for beds. Has anyone ever used those?

I don't think that dust in the shavings is the issue. IMO, it's the chicken dander that's problematic. I've considered the idea of trying to run a fan to circulate the air from the brooder through a furnace filter, but have not actually tried it. It would require a bit of experimenting to keep the fan from causing too much draft or chilling the chicks. After last year, I said, NEVER AGAIN will I brood in the house. Even after moving them down to my basement after the first week, the dust was too much... both I and my G-dtr have asthma.

My husband and I don't have allergies, so not really worried about dander. I am worried about dust settling on things. I don't mind dusting a couple times a week, but after reading numerous threads, I'm left with the impression that the dust will be severe. If anyone broods inside, would you weigh in on the dust?

The amount of dust will greatly depend on your set up. For example, the last time I brooded inside, I used a large Rubbermaid tote with pine shavings. I cut a large hole on one side of the lid and another hole in the tote on the same side so we could see the chicks (holes were covered with hardware clothe). On the other side of the lid I cut a hole just large enough for the lamp to fit thru. When we weren't looking at the chicks, I kept a hand towel over the 2 larger holes, the dust was minimal. All I had to do was wipe off the top of the tote.
Now, if you're brooding in a deep, open top cardboard box, dog crate or wire cage, I can just see dust going everywhere. I've also used sand and paper towels as bedding, there's always dust. They make it themselves. The best thing you can do is contain it, or put them in a room that doesn't get used often and clean when they're gone.

I don't think that dust in the shavings is the issue. IMO, it's the chicken dander that's problematic. I've considered the idea of trying to run a fan to circulate the air from the brooder through a furnace filter, but have not actually tried it. It would require a bit of experimenting to keep the fan from causing too much draft or chilling the chicks. After last year, I said, NEVER AGAIN will I brood in the house. Even after moving them down to my basement after the first week, the dust was too much... both I and my G-dtr have asthma.
And I don't think it's the bedding that makes the dust, it's the chicks themselves! That dander IS the dust, a lot of the time. I use shavings for bedding a lot of animals and they don't generate dust. The chicks themselves do, no matter what bedding you use. I also will not brood indoors, ever ever ever. If you have a secure outbuilding, that works just fine. If you live in a severe weather area, you may just need to delay getting chicks until the weather's more stable.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom