brooder bulb

I just made a top, my garage is way to cluttered for them to be exploring. I think I might make a few perches yet to. Would 2 x 2 be ok for perches? How tall should i make them? The top also lets me just set the heat lamps right on the wire, which I like better than hanging them. That way I know they wont fall in. Should I put 2 lamps on it or would one be enough? And as far as room I should be able to fit 20 birds then? If the weather gets nice earlier then they may only be there for a month. I would just rather them be at home till they will be able to stay warm on there own, after they go to there coop I will only be able to check on them once a day. My dad and grandma will check them also and I can put a heat lamp in there coop on those cold nights. There is still a gas furnaces in the building but don't know if it works any more. The building was a hog farrowing house, that is 20 ft by 30 ft. Thanks again

I just made a top, my garage is way to cluttered for them to be exploring. I think I might make a few perches yet to. Would 2 x 2 be ok for perches? How tall should i make them? The top also lets me just set the heat lamps right on the wire, which I like better than hanging them. That way I know they wont fall in. Should I put 2 lamps on it or would one be enough? And as far as room I should be able to fit 20 birds then? If the weather gets nice earlier then they may only be there for a month. I would just rather them be at home till they will be able to stay warm on there own, after they go to there coop I will only be able to check on them once a day. My dad and grandma will check them also and I can put a heat lamp in there coop on those cold nights. There is still a gas furnaces in the building but don't know if it works any more. The building was a hog farrowing house, that is 20 ft by 30 ft. Thanks again
2x2 will be o.k. for perches (roosts) while they are small but as they grow they will need at least a 2x4 on side (wide side up) so that they can sit with their feet flat. Chickens feet are not really designed to clutch a branch for long periods. They will roost sitting on their feet to keep their feet warm in the winter. As for the heat lamp. If you are using 150-250 watt lamps I would think one should do it. That will give them a warm spot and plenty of cooler space to wander around in. When you move them out I would suggest not using supplemental heat if possible (only if it gets down to around 20 degrees and stays there for a while.) chickens have a great ability to regulate their temps and use of supplemental heat can impede that ability leaving them at risk if it gets cold and the heat is not available.

Just put the lamp on one side of the brooder. If it get too hot, the chicks will move away to the other side.

Back
Top Bottom