Brooder design? Pics needed!

redbone

Songster
10 Years
May 24, 2009
Rockvale, TN
I've been skimping for a while now on my brooder just using makeshift brooders with a couple of metal wash tubs in the house. They've worked fine, but my volume is about to go up a little and I do need to get it in the barn.

Can some of you share you pictures of your brooders that you've made? I'm just wanting to get a few ideas to work with before I start.

Any tips that you have could be helpful too.
smile.png

Thanks,
Ryan

I made a simple one that worked great. It is 28" x 20". It is 20' tall. It worked fantastic until they just got too big at about 4 weeks old. I used a 1 x 6 across the front to keep the shavings inside.

7630_frontwithview.jpg

7630_new_brooder.jpg

7630_hingedlid.jpg

7630_frontpainted.jpg

7630_broodersetup.jpg

7630_occupants.jpg

It cost me less than $15 to build and you could build one any size really.

I used puppy training pads on the bottom and shavings on top of those. It was super easy to keep clean, they had good air flow and they were able to see what was going on inside the house...they got used to things much faster.

Then they went into a small coop/brooder 5.5' x 3.5'

7630_hpim5894.jpg

Last edited:
If you go to the "Raising baby chicks" section of BYC, you will find a GIANT LONG stickied thread (at the very top of the list of threads) where people have posted pix of a bazillion and a half different brooder designs. I am sure you will see something there that would work for you!
smile.png

Pat

Back
Top Bottom