Brooder "flooring" possibility

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Palm City Peep, May 27, 2011.

1. Palm City Peep

Palm City Peep Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2011
    Anybody try using "puppy training pads" in the bottom of their brooders? I'm a newbie and read where newspaper is too slick (can lead to "splayed legs") and sawdust is too small (chicks may eat the stuff). Wood shavings (excluding cedar) seem too big. Am expecting 12 chicks this coming August or September (depending on my coop progress) and am trying to anticipate and avoid mistakes. Perhaps I'm making a mountain out of a molehill! Puppy training pads are available at my local Walgreens - 50 pads for $10.

2. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Yes-I've used them, because we had some left over... They work really great! However I'd don't think I'd go buy more for that purpose - paper towels work just as well. By about a week, we toss in some shavings.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 27, 2011
  3. Anianna

Anianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA
    Sounds unnecessarily expensive. [​IMG]

I use paper towels for the first few days with the youngest chicks, but mine are on pine shavings before they are a week old and do just fine. I use the larger shavings like are marketed for use in horse stalls. I find that it's less dusty.

4. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Sounds unnecessarily expensive.

Just rake up pine straw from under the trees, lawn clippings (dried), straw or whatever. It all works if it's not too slick or toxic.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by