brooder for 3 chicks

katiekuj

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 11, 2011
I have 3 one week old chicks in a large rubbermaid (85qt). We have chicken wire zip tied over the top (to protect from toddlers + cat). Wondering if this size brooder will last us until they can go out to the coop?
Our house is very small so I'm not super keen on the idea of having a larger brooder inside, but worry about the cat having unsupervised "visits" with the chicks if we put a brooder out in the garage.

anyone have a similar set up that lasted?

I'm in CA and its been in the mid-60s during the day, mid 40s at night.

welcome-byc.gif
Welcome to BYC ! What are the measurements for your tote? I'm guessing a little over two feet by 1 1/2 feet. If that's correct, then I would say that's good until maybe 3 to 4 weeks old
hu.gif
it might be a little crowded after that. What part of the country are in and temperatures? I'm in northern NY so it's still in the low 40s at night. But at 3-4 weeks old if your coop is draft free they could probably go out in the coop with the heat lamp if they need to.

I have my 3 (3.5 week old) chicks in a 50-gallon tote. It's looking a bit "fuller" these days, but they still have plenty of room to flap around.

Back
Top Bottom