Brooder heater questions

Cryss

Eggcentric
6 Years
Nov 12, 2017
Northwest New Jersey
If you use a brooder heater like the brinsea type and you use it in a coop outdoors from day 1 how long will they need to use it? It seems that they will need larger heaters as they grow, not just a taller one but wider so they wouldn’t run out of space. I understand that the legs of the heater are adjustable to raise higher as they grow but it doesn’t get any wider. So my question is how many chicks can actually spend all their heat-needing weeks with a heater claiming it broods 20 chicks?

So if the product claims 20 chicks can brood under there is that true by the time they are 3-4 weeks old?
By the time they are 3 or 4 weeks old, chicks don’t all fit under a broody hen, either. So some rest or sleep beside her, some under, and some on top of her. Some don’t even sleep close to her, but instead a couple will snuggle together where they are close to her, but not nearly touching her. Quick answer to your question is no, at that age they won’t all fit under the heat plate. And that’s okay.

By the time they are 3 or 4 weeks old, chicks don’t all fit under a broody hen, either. So some rest or sleep beside her, some under, and some on top of her. Some don’t even sleep close to her, but instead a couple will snuggle together where they are close to her, but not nearly touching her. Quick answer to your question is no, at that age they won’t all fit under the heat plate. And that’s okay.
Ah! Now that makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up for me. 😊👍🏻

Back
Top Bottom