Brooder help, please

KBGChicken

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 20, 2014
Hi this is my first time getting chicks and I have 5 chicks I don't how old they are. But the problem is I don't know if I set up the heating lamp correctly is this good? It is a 250 watt heating lamp should I higher it or lower it or is it fine? The chicks seem fine to me, and the lamp is at the back of the wall but can someone tell me if this is correct and how would I lower the temperature each week? This is my brooder http://imgur.com/4Zu13YJ

Last edited:
That heat lamp looks like it might not be well secured. It should have at least two things that fasten it, and that metal half ring is not a secure way to do this.

You lower the temp by raising the lamp, or changing it to a lower strength if necessary. Having a small thermometer you can set in there helps gauge how yo are doing, but in the end. the chicks will tell you. If they gather uner the lamp, they are on the cool side. If they go to the corners, away from the heat, they are too warm. It is much easier to get them too hot than too cool - and probably more dangerous. From thieir positions they may be a little warm in there. You ma only need an ordinary 100w bulb. They should be running around and exploring and softly cheeping.

Also, that bin will be too small in about 2 weeks if not sooner.

Thanks I will find something to secure with and I moved the lamp up somewhat so it is not warm they seem fine now and in 2 weeks I will have my coop by then.

Last edited:
By the way should I turn off the lamp at night? My house is usually 70 degrees.

Your chicks will need heat at night, just as much as they do during the day. Your goal should be for 90 - 95* the first week, and lower it 5 degrees every week after that. They should be able to get away from the heat to an area that is about 70 degrees. I'm glad you'll have your coop soon. If the chicks seem crowded, or they can't get to a cooler spot b/c the brooder is too small, you might be able to switch them to a bigger box, or connect 2 boxes.

My lamp heated my wall too much and it was going to burn the wall now I removed the lamp and it is 70 degrees in my house @lazy gardener should I remove the lamp or put it back because if I do put it back it might cause a fire when I sleep because I wouldn't be able to remove it, what should I do?

Last edited:
Your chicks will need heat at night, just as much as they do during the day.  Your goal should be for 90 - 95* the first week, and lower it 5 degrees every week after that.  They should be able to get away from the heat to an area that is about 70 degrees.  I'm glad you'll have your coop soon.  If the chicks seem crowded, or they can't get to a cooler spot b/c the brooder is too small, you might be able to switch them to a bigger box, or connect 2 boxes. 

My lamp heated my wall too much and it was going to burn the wall now I removed the lamp and it is 70 degrees in my house should I remove the lamp or put it back because if I do put it back it might cause a fire when I sleep because I wouldn't be able to remove it, what should I do?

The chicks need the heat that lamp provides. 70* is only warm enough for 6 week old chicks or older. You said you don't know how old they are, but judging from the picture, they look like my chicks, who are 1 week old, therefore, they need to be at a temperature of 95* for at least one week, then 90* the next week, and so on. As I understand it, if you don't keep the chicks at the temps stated in the above post, they will not thrive.

Maybe you need to find a different place to put the brooder, where the lamp won't be too close to the wall.

Last edited:
The chicks need the heat that lamp provides.  70* is only warm enough for 6 week old chicks or older.  You said you don't know how old they are, but judging from the picture, they look like my chicks, who are 1 week old, therefore, they need to be at a temperature of 95* for at least one week, then 90* the next week, and so on.  As I understand it, if you don't keep the chicks at the temps stated in the above post, they will not thrive.

Maybe you need to find a different place to put the brooder, where the lamp won't be too close to the wall. 

Thanks but how many inches high do you think I should put the lamp?

How many watts is the bulb? In a 70 degree room, you can get by with a 40 - 60 W bulb. Be sure it is an incandescent bulb, and not a fluorescent bulb. Then you'll need to get a thermometer. Shine the light into one end of the brooder. At one week old, the chicks can be at 85 - 90 degrees, but if they huddle under the bulb, try to burrow under each other, or if they stand under the bulb instead of laying down, they are cold. Lower the bulb a bit. If they stay away from the bulb, if they lay down and spread their wings, if they pant, they are too warm. Raise the bulb a bit. cold chicks will get sick and die. Over heated chicks will die before they get a chance to get sick. Good luck getting your heat adjusted. This is the hardest part of raising chicks.

Back
Top Bottom