Brooder?? help!

hey i started out with a tote then went to the grocery store and got a watermelon crate. heavy cardboard....it is terrific!

Quote:
UPDATE: My wife sent me some pics to post, so you can have a better idea of what I mean. I know it might be a little bit more expensive than a tote from wally world, but it's not overly elaborate either. Aren't your babies worth it?
smile.png
<wink wink nudge nudge>

brooder01.jpg

brooder02.jpg

brooder03.jpg

brooder04.jpg

brooder05.jpg

I started mine in a plastic bin. Then I ordered the plans for a pallet coop - very simple design. It is hot here in Florida so they went out week two. There were 20 in that lot so they definately outgrew the brooder in minutes. That big pallet coop has been great except now they all want to roost on the highest roost. So I need to add another roost. Actually, I need to sell a few and build another pallet coop. The good thing about the pallet coop was that the materials were FREE and the plans cost about 12.50. We find free pallets EVERY WHERE and My husband is obsessed with getting more. I finally got the chicks I wanted to get a long time ago - the 20 was a weak moment. I shouldn't have done it but I did it and I don't regret it but 20 was a TON of chicks and more than I had planned.

Check out the coop section because you will be surprised what people have built and in the summer with good weather - you can keep the chicks warm without electricity - actually keeping them cool is the concern.
Caroline

Back
Top Bottom