Brooder Help

HRoseC95

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 7, 2013
Hello, we were originally planning on getting chicks in april. But we found a feed store only a hour away, that has all the breeds we want, and they are sexed pullets, with the Merkers vacation. That starts selling chicks on February 7th and we just couldn't wait till april, and they will start laying sooner.

We started setting up out brooder. We have a aviary thats no longer used, that we thought would be perfect. It's dimension are 6ft long, 2 ft wide, and 3 ft high. and it has 1ft seed gourd to help keep out draft. Should that be big enough for 10 chicks until they can move out side? Also the aviary is in our sun room and it stays around 60 degrees during the winter, will that be to cold? Also we got a heat lamp and its reading around 90-95 degrees under the heat lamp. Is that okay? Or should we lower it? Also we put a divider in the middle for the first week or so, so that the chicks don't get lost. Is that a good idea?

I'll attach some pictures of our set up , any comments or helpful hints would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Sorry the pics didn't work. I'll try reposting them.

null_zps9cdfafbd.jpg

null_zps1f7f35a5.jpg

null_zps1f08dfd2.jpg

null_zpse0c13b2c.jpg

null_zps4c6f9d37.jpg

Last edited:
I just wanna say it's BEAUTIFUL and I would LOVE to have something like that! With the last flock of chicks I raised, I had 10 and my brooder was about half your size. Think you'll be alright!

Any more helpful hints or comments on our brooder. Also do you guys think that the divider is a good idea or not?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just all excited and nervous.

Wow! I am jealous! I had 17 chicks in a big cardboard box in my laundry room for 9 weeks. Things were… tight in there! After 6 weeks, they only slept inside though. Looks great! The only thing I would say is to make sure your heat lamp is secure. I may be OCD about it, but I had mine clamped, taped and also secured by the cord in case the clamp slipped off (which is easy to do). Can't be too safe when the chance of fire is involved! I would make sure the heat lamp cord is attached to something so that if the clamp does come off it will still hold itself up. I'm not recommending putting all the weight on the cord, but just an extra failsafe.

I think it's beautiful.

I don't think the divider is really necessary. I know they'll look so small and lost there at first, but they'll be fine. This will give them lots of space to regulate their own temps and stretch their little wings!

It is beautiful!

And I agree with donrae about the divider. My brooder is probably about the same size (just not as tall, or pretty!), I don't divide it and I always put the food and water opposite the light so they have to come out from under it.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure your chicks will be quite happy in there
1f60f.png

SWEET!!! That's the best brooder I've ever seen!
Mostly because it big enough to last until they go outside!

Agrees that the divider is probably not needed, but won't hurt. Keep it in there until they get crowded, then give them more space.

Back
Top Bottom