Brooder Lamp or not?

spies04

Songster
11 Years
May 28, 2011
Minnesota
Hi! We have ten baby chicks that we have built a separate pen in our insulated chicken house so they are separate from the old ladies. They are two months old and getting quite big. We still have the brooder lamp on them but the old ladies are telling us it is too hot in there for them
rant.gif
. How long do I need to keep the brooder lamp on the babies? I live in MN and Mother Nature has had a bulls-eye on us for the longest winter ever. But it sounds like we could be taking a turn and heading to the 50's and 60's. Also our chicken house is insulated. thanks!

I'm not positive, but i think they will be fine. I live in Kansas and have three 2 1/2 month hens outside, and they are doing fine without one (also, just snowed today, and they are okay, so i think it would be just fine)

They will be fine. A 2 months old, they don't need the lamp. Now is the time to get rid of it while the temps are getting a little more mild. It's not as much of a shock to them that way if it is freezing outside. Chickens are very tough. They can handle it.

If they are fully feathered (which they usually are at 8 weeks), I would wean them off the heat lamp. They should be fine, especially since they can huddle up for warmth at night.

I was told that as soon as they have all their "big girl/boy" feathers they will be fine without a heat lamp. Good luck up there!

Back
Top Bottom