Brooder lamps

playmeasong

Chirping
11 Years
Apr 9, 2008
South Jersey
I have some confusion over what kind of brooder lamp setup to purchase. I am planning on making a plastic rubbermaid tote box into a brooder this month. I've read in one book to get an ordinary cone shaped reflector lamp for a few bucks and test out different watt bulbs until you get the desired temp. Other advice I heard state you should get a red lamp designed for brooders (thus spending a lot more money). Is red light preferred over white? I'm only keeping 7 chicks in the brooder.
Also, I'm not sure how to suspend the lamp over the brooder, especially if I have the plastic tub design. Do I just rest it on the wire I'm planning to cover it with? Do they make lamps with clamps on them?
Thanks,
jen

Jen,

We purchased some from the feed store -- it clamps on or rests on the wire. You can also hang them suspended over the brooder. I did read somewhere you should make sure the light has a ceremic holder -- the others get very warm. We also bought brooder lamp bulbs rather than heat lights or using regular lightbulbs; however, I thing a lot of people use the red bulbs that you mentioned.

I also am using the plastic tub.

I have my chicks in a rubbermaid like tub and i got a heat lamp. I didn't get the red kind but i think i'm going to go tomorrow and see if i can find one. I just have the regular and it's very bright. I have it suspended over the brooder with a bungy cord connected to the knobs on my bathroom cabinets.

My lamp doesn't have a ceramic holder though.....it does get warm. I'll look for that too.

Last edited:
If you are using a small tote a big heat lamp will get it too hot inside. You will just need a 100 watt, or even less, bulb. You can get this tinted red as well. If you get the big 250 watt heat lamps your birds can overheat, which is just as dangerous as them being too cool.

I like the clamp-on deflector lamps. They're easy to clamp on anywhere. I start out with a 100 watt bulb and eventually go to 60. You just have to raise or lower the lamp to adjust the heat. I tried a red bulb from the reptile place but the chicks were not active enough(my room didn't have enough natural light) - it also burnt out in one week:(

Quote:
My thermometer says it's only 90-95 degrees and i have the lamp hanging above the tub. The plastic isn't hot at all.

Here is a picture...
BunnyandChicks2008098.jpg

Do you still think it might be too hot? I am concerned about the brightness. Does that affect the chicks?
Thanks for any info,
Jodie

Last edited:
You've got yours hanging really high up.
smile.png
I've seen lots of folks on here just clamp them to the side.

Always trust that themometer
wink.png

Is it pretty cool on the cool side? Like below 75?

The red light is because the chicks sleep better with a red light instead of white, and are less likely to pick at each other. If you are going to use the higher watt bulbs, you MUST have the ceramic base. And even the clamp on types should be tied down, too. More than one fire has been started by a heat lamp.

Quote:
I know it's high but at that level the temp seems just right. I'm going to go and find a red bulb tomorrow along with another thermometer.

The chicks seem happy. They are laying under the light, no panting, not bunched up and sleeping. That's gotta be good right?
big_smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom