Brooder plate capacity

Older thread, but I'm on the verge of ordering and not sure what size...

Our incubator takes 22 eggs, and of course not all may hatch. I'm wondering if it's best to go with the 12x12 (rated for 20) or the 16x16 (rated for 30)? This year the brooder will be indoors, but could be in a shed next year +, and we have a biggish breed (Australorps) right now.
I would get the bigger one.
Last year I had ony one incubator, which holds 16 eggs and I used a smaller plate (15-20 chicks) for the first two weeks, then I switched to a bigger one (30-35 chicks) for the following weeks. I initially got the bigger plate, then I got also the smaller one in case of small batches of chicks and for the quails.
I don't recommend, in your case, to get two plates. It's just to say that 15 chicks outgrowed a plate made for 15-20 in only two weeks.

So it sounds like I could be OK with the 12x12, but the 16x16 is more on the safe side. I'm planning to use a modified XXL wire dog crate to start, which could definitely accommodate that.

Then there is the possibility of a Mama Hen (heating pad) brooder. It would be less $, but so many Amazon reviews talk about pads failing after a short time. That's probably rare, of course...

If anyone has thoughts on the mama-hen-style vs. a brooder plate before I pull the trigger, please share -- and thanks so much for the input everyone!

Back
Top Bottom