Brooder Question!

KoaLovesChickens

In the Brooder
Feb 12, 2020
This might be a weird question, but how long do you need to keep the corners rounded out for chicks?

We have had our chicks for two weeks now [tomorrow] and we put cardboard in the corners to keep them "rounded out" so that way the chicks weren't crowding or suffocating each other. I found one this morning behind the cardboard (I'm guessing she got back there overnight). I'm wondering if the cardboard can't be removed now that they're old enough? Or will they still crowd to the corners - so should we just add more cardboard to make the rounded corners taller? We have 50 sweet girls. Thank you!!!

If they crowd in the corners I wonder if it’s because they’re too hot and are trying to get away from the heat or if they’re too cold and huddling up.

At two weeks I think they’re fine. My brooder is rounded so I have never rounded the corners.

Our girls don't necessarily crowd the corners. I've just read to do it as a protective measure to round out the corners for when they are little. (One of our brooders is rather large using old doors screwed together.)

Back
Top Bottom