Brooder Question

Lori66

Hatching
7 Years
Mar 5, 2012
I am new to raising chickens and have a question about the brooder box. I have a large plastic tote that I'm going to use for a brooder box and was wondering if anyone has ever tried lining theirs with puppy potty-training pads? I have a bunch left over from my last pup and wondered if they would work? I would put pine shavings on top of the pads. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

I don't think so. I think they'd pick at it and eat it. I tried lining a box with a plastic feed bag, and they wouldn't stop picking at the tape. I put them in a different box, and once they found the bottom of the box, they went crazy trying to rip it up..
but - you never know unless you try it. (Just be sure they don't eat it)
good luck!!

I agree, I'd be a little tentative trying out the puppy pads because, I too, think that they would most likely eat it. I cant think of anything my chickens didn't try to pick at when given the chance.

I used just the puppy pads for the first two days, then covered them with Swheat Scoop wheat cat litter. Sometimes the edges show from under the litter, and the girls will peck at it, but don't actually tear pieces off. But I'm finding that the litter does such a good job at absorbtion that I don't think I'll need to use the pads anymore.

I wouldn't use the puppy pads, either. They'll peck at it, plus most puppy pads are treated with lots of chemicals for odor control, so the chicks could get sick on a number of levels. I bought a HUGE bag of chips at the local feed store. They love that. It wan't expensive and it's been great bedding. As you can see from my picture, that's Binky in a box of chips.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the replies.....I never thought of them picking at them....think I'll stick just pine shavings.

Back
Top Bottom