Brooder Questions

Morgan7782

Dense Egg Goo
9 Years
Mar 22, 2010
Sacramento CA
I have a couple brooder questions.

A.) How much space would 15 standard size chicks need in a brooder from hatch to 7-8 weeks old?

B.) Is it possible to brood outdoors? Provided you have a SAFE predator proof enclosure and heat light as needed.

Thanks all!

Well I'm pretty new to this, but from what I've gathered:

A) A small space will work for your chickies while they are under two weeks old. I find that at 2 weeks they really start to get big and really active. I put my 3 chicks in a large dog kennel, but definitely would not leave them in there for 7-8 weeks, they would take up the whole kennel. Eight week old chickens are almost full grown, so I would expect to need at least a square foot per bird.

B) I think the main thing (besides predators) is the heat issue. As long as you can keep the temp warm on the babies and the wind off they should be okay.

Why would you need to keep your chicks in a brooder for 8 weeks if you are planning on doing the brooder outside?? I would think that you would just be able to transfer them to a coop at about 5 weeks.

I have some friends who want me to brood some chicks for them, they are unable to do it themselves, but want to be involved and play with them as chicks and such. I told them there are older pullets available for sale, but they want to be as involved as they can without actually brooding the chicks themselves.

I need an outside brooder because I do not have an inside area I am able to use as a brooder room. I have a coop that is totally draft proof, just have to figure out how to hang the heat light out there. I wish there were safer means to heat besides electricity lol.

The brooder sizes I have are 2ft x 4ft or 3ft x 6ft. I could also tell my friends I can only brood 10 at one time, rather then the originally planned 15.

Last edited:
I kept 27 chicks in a 3'x5' brooder in the coop until they were about 5 weeks old. I never had any issues with them being cramped, but I'd certainly go with your larger brooder, especially after 4 to 5 weeks. Until they are feathered out, make sure they are protected from a draft.

Heat may be your enemy more than cool temperatures right now. I'm a firm believer in keeping one area warm according to the recommendations but leave the rest cooler. Then being too hot is more of a danger than them being too cool, especially if they have an area they can go to and warm up. The far corner of my brooder was 70 degrees F when I put the chicks in. They pretty much stayed under the heat the first couple of days and always slept under the heat but by the third day they were playing in the cool corner. They would go back and warm up if they needed to. I did not lose any chicks.

Good luck!

Thank you so much
smile.png
that is good to know! I have two brooders I can use, and will use the 2 x 4 for the first 2-3 weeks and then the 3 x 6 until they are ready to go to their new home
smile.png

I will be brooding these chicks in Fall, around October hopefully. I told my friends I don't mind brooding them in fall or winter because both are pretty mild here in Sacramento. I may have to consider brooding them in the garage or something, just realized we get rain in winter, and I have no clue how I would keep a heat light on them through rain.. Hmm..

i would go with the larger brooder for sure i had 10 standard size chicks in a large wash tub for about 1 month until i moved them straight out to the coop because they needed more room just be sure to keep the heat lamp shining in about one half of the brooder so they can move away or get closer if they want. if you are going to have them outside be sure to moniter the temp at all times you dont want it to get to cold for them!!!

Back
Top Bottom