Brooder set up question

tamaralynn

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 6, 2012
I am setting up my brooder for my first backyard flock. I have a plastic tub with pine shavings in the bottom. People have told me to sprinkle DE on the shavings. So I did. then I covered all that with paper towel. I was told to do that for the first few days.

Is all that right? I am confused about the DE???? I thought it was to keep the smell down and for sanitary purposes. Is that right? I have day old chicks arriving in just a few days. I want to be sure I am doing this right. Any input?

Hello and
welcome-byc.gif

I've raised many many chicks and I've never used DE, so can't give an opinion on that one. Do make sure the brooder gets cleaned regularly. Give them water in shallow dish so they don't get wet/drown and keep them warm. I usually hang a large feather duster on the brooder as a "mommy", the chicks love it.
Check their bums frequently for pasty butt (when the poop gets stuck to the bum and blocks it). If you do get this just soak it in warm (not hot!) water and clean it carefully.
You can feed them chick food and start giving treats like fresh greens (mine gets spinach) after about 2 weeks. A few bugs won't hurt either!
And most important: ENJOY!

I've never used DE either so I'm sorry about that. As for everything else that is correct. I sprinkled a small small small amount of shavings with paper towels overtop to let them have a good grip so they don;t get any leg/toe problems. Once they gain their strength you can remove the towels ;) Good luck with your chicks and welcome to byc!!
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom