Brooder set up...

Chocobroc

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 13, 2010
Eastern, NC
I started making my brooder today and will be finished tomorrow (I'll post pics when complete). I know the main necessities for the brooder such as heat lamp, thermometer, food, water, shavings etc). My question is, Do I make a little roost for it? From a couple pics I've seen in posts, I didn't notice any roosts.

Any suggestions, comments, advice or other "must haves" to put in the brooder? My chicks are definietly going to be in it for a good 4-5 weeks while their coop is being built. So its going to have room to grow.

Thanks!

From what I've read you don't have to have roosts in it until they're a few weeks old. Of course, I'm sure it doesn't hurt to go ahead and add them.

At two weeks old a few of my peepers are getting to where they like to fly up on things. They fly up on the top of the gallon waterer and the 11" tall cardboard I put in the converted dog crate to prevent drafts. I've thought about putting roosts in the brooder, but not all of the chicks are ready for them. My Silkies in particular don't seem to have much desire to flap anywhere.

Rachel

I have never used a roost, but I dont think it is a bad idea. I have seen the little buggers roost on the edge of a feeder etc. I would say they dont really roost as in sleep there, but they will perch on something. If you have room and the desire go ahead. It may help them roost earlier and more readily when they go to the coop. Many juvenile birds take a while to get on a roost if they have not had a roost as youngsters.

Awesome... Thanks everyone. I'll put them in there, but won't expect much or be concerned if they have no interest in them for a bit.

A roost is not needed but they sure do like it. Here they are at 5 days.
DSC02533.jpg

DSC02532.jpg

DSC02530.jpg

Back
Top Bottom