Brooder shavings as mulch for flowers?

stretchc1

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 16, 2008
Connecticut
I have learned from BYC that the pine shavings from the coop go to the compost pile because the fresh droppings are too high in nitrogen (and perhaps bacteria) to go straight onto the vegetable garden. But before I go buy a bunch of wood mulch for my flower garden, I'm wondering whether I could just use the pine shavings + poo that I will need to clean out of my brooder in the next day or so.

Any experience/thoughts on this?

If the concentration of chicken poo is not too high you can direct mulch with shavings from brooders or the coop. It all depends what the ratio of shavings to manure is as to whether it's too strong.

I would think the wood shavings need to compost before being applied as a mulch. Dump them in a corner for a couple of months, and stir them and keep them moist. Should break down so it doesn't leach the nitrogen from your plants. (I know it seems like they should cancel one another out, but I think that's too much chemical action going on on top of your plants) Let it settle down and beak down a little before dumping on your flowers.. IMHO...

Mulch is specifically uncomposted wood shavings so that weeds won't grow in it. Composting it somewhat defeats the purpose.

Back
Top Bottom