Brooder Size - One brooder that will work for 5-6 weeks.

chickens_in_fallriver

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 13, 2011
We have just ordered five chicks from a online hatchery. (Welsummer, Barred Plymouth Rock, Easter Egger, Speckled Sussex, and a Assorted Feather-Legged Bantam)

I would like to make a brooder that would work for the next 5-6 weeks. I see a lot of small brooders that would be great for chicks but what happens when they get bigger?

I was going to make a simple box out of plywood. What should be the dimensions of this box?

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks
Dave

First...
welcome-byc.gif
from Idaho!

Each chick needs about 6-8 inches of space in a brooder (at 5 weeks, you'll see what I mean!). I don't feel like doing the math, but our brooder for 12 chicks was about 3' by 3.5'. Our was plywood too, and worked just like a charm, but watch out, our lamp scorched a part of the wall where the wood/lamp were really close.

I built a 4'x4' brooder and it usually gets me by for 6-8 weeks, depending on hatch size. Then they move to a pen located next to the main coop run for another 5-6 weeks until integration.

I say build as big of a brooder as you can. You'll always have it for when you get more chicks or if you ever need to quarantine.

Here are some pics of the one I built.

019.jpg
020.jpg

022.jpg

Last edited:
Those pictures really help, so I can build something like that. What did you use as litter, I can't blow up the picture to a large enough size to tell. Is that sand? Did you line the bottom with vinyl tile?

Or better yet, can you just email me some high resolution versions of those pics?
thanks!

Last edited:
This is a picture of my brooder. I wanted it off the ground so I don't have to bend as much. There is a divider in the center with a little "pop door" that I can keep open to let the chicks access either side, or separate 2 batches of chicks. It is 6' x 3 1/2'.

86138_img_4963.jpg

If a grocery store in your area has the boxes that watermelon come in, they work well. I use them. I just go in and ask if they have any.

Right now we have our chicks in a small kiddy framed pool. It is aprox. 3ft 3ins square. There are only 8 chicks in it so they have lots of room to run and chase each other around.
big_smile.png

Edited to delete one 3 too many!
roll.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom