Brooder Size Question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Reinbeau, Apr 6, 2008.

1. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

This was buried in my other thread. Let me ask a different question - how big of a brooder should my DH build to accommodate 15 chicks from when they come home here til they can go outside in mid-June or so? (I'm thinking it'll be mid-June when it's warm enough for them to go into their palatial accommodations we're busy building them, a 10x10' coop)? I'm getting them May 7.

2. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    If it helps, we had ours last year in a cardboard watermelon box (about 3 x 4 feet??) and with 6 chicks it got crowded by 7 weeks.... there are rules of thumb in Storey's etc but they're really more for farm-type operations, I think, and IMHO too crowded. I'm interested to hear what others say.

To your benefit, you'll only need to keep them inside for a month or so, so they won't be all that enormous!

3. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    id build a 4ftw by 4ftl by 2fth brooder.that should hold them for 5 or 6 wks.gives ea chick 1ft sq ft of space.

4. Penske

Penske Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Massachusetts
    I am new to this, but ours is a dog crate/cage outfitted with chicken wire and cardboard sides. It is 2'4" by 3'6" and about 3' tall. We'll have 16 chicks. I am thinking they'll be in it for 3 weeks, then move to the coop with heat. It is the best situation we would come up with for inside. I've seen others here do it, so I am hoping they'll be fine.

If anyone has comments, I'd love to hear them.

Lisa

5. professor-yellow

professor-yellow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    I built a 4x6 foot brroder on wheels to move around. PM me if you want to see pics. I dont know how to attach here.

6. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

PM inbound! [​IMG]

7. sbwhite0

sbwhite0 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2008
    Terre Haute,IN
    I have built a 3'x4' and it accomidates 10 very easily. So, a 4'x4' should do the trick for 16.[​IMG]

8. Penske

Dec 28, 2007
    Massachusetts
    YIKES! Sounds like my space is too small...do you think it'll be ok for just two weeks??? Then I can move them to the brooder in the coop with lots of space.

Lisa

9. eggonomist

eggonomist Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2007
    Singhampton, Ont, Canada
    Wow, did I mess up, i have a 2ft w x 4ft l x2ft h brooder I'm just making, perfect for when I start hatching, but possibly a bit small for my initial 20 I'm hoping to order this month, I'm off to go and work on that hen house QUICKLY. :eek:[​IMG]

10. Penske

Dec 28, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Well, at least I'm not alone!! [​IMG]

I am happy to have all this good information though. Like I said, I am hoping they'll be OK for two weeks, then the weather will warm up here and I can heat the coop. At least the coop is done.

Good luck, eggonomist!!

Lisa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by