BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

My chicks are getting ready to outgrow theirs. But, it worked like a charm!

The dog food bag was wonderful. I put puppy training pads over it and pine shavings on top of that. All I had to do was roll the pads up to clean.

They love the 2x4, one of the younger chicks can get on it, but some of the older ones can't. It's really funny, it makes them so mad! My babies actually taught some of the older girls how to dust bathe.. I think they're a younger hatchery generation and have not lost of much of their chicken skills.

Now they're 3-4 weeks old and they're starting to smell *laugh* It's getting too cramped. Luckily, their new home is in it's finishing stage.

When I buy chicks again, I will build something more permanent. But this worked just fine.

This is our 25 gallon recycled material bin brooder.

A look from overhead you can see two waterers and a large feed tray.
Also we had to raise the lamp up a bit to get the best temperature, so we hooked it to a table.

All 15 chicks!
They also perch on the top of the feeder now that they are hopping a bit more.

We chose corn cob bedding for our brooder.
This is our first time with chicks, so we will have to see what happens.

This is a picture with the heat light on.
I turned it off for less than a minute to snap those other pictures.

Just know they'll grow FAST. They practically double in size in a week. I was amazed how fast they grew.. I would go to bed, and by the time I got up they'd have grown again.

This is 2 pieces of 4x8 plywood cut into a 4x5 base, two 2x4 walls, and two 2x5 walls. Secured with 16 L brackets. We had two pieces of 1x4 scrap left over. Total cost was $60. This is for 15 chicks.

Last edited:

I got delightfully carried away, but this is for three chicks. I have a dog stay at my house several times a week who is less than trustworthy around the chicks, so it was important that it be dog proof.

Super simple. Drill a 3/8" hole in the cap (make sure that the rubbery circular piece inside the top of the cap stays put, otherwise it'll leak) and insert the push-in style nipple. I think some nipple waterers need different hole sizes drilled so whatever you buy, check to see what it requires. Just plug in the black piece and shove the red piece through that and hang upside down. I poked a hole in the bottom of this bottle and use a caribeaner to hang it on the hardware cloth in the run for the chicks. I fill it with a funnel through the hole.
I was able to get one that was similar and are making up a few of these so that we can change them out in the winter when they freeze. We are going to have to make a stand for them. I love that I can use different size soda bottles.

I was able to get one that was similar and are making up a few of these so that we can change them out in the winter when they freeze. We are going to have to make a stand for them. I love that I can use different size soda bottles.

I just made one yesterday with a 128 oz. Ocean Spray juice bottle. I built a wire hanger for it by encircling the bottle in the indent and attached a wire bail type handle to that. It's very Rube Goldberg but it works so nicely hanging against a flat wall! This is what happens when you have lots of wire scraps from a chain link project and are determined to come up with something better than you used last time...

Back
Top Bottom