BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

Seeing all these brooder pics makes me so excited for my ducklings I'm getting in April and possible chicks in May!
celebrate.gif

I'll post pics of my brooders as soon as they're set up!
I use a plastic bin for about the first week or so in the basement, then when they get a little bigger they move into the bigger brooder box in the garage.
For my ducklings (i'm new to ducklings) I'm using a plastic bin for the first week probably and then When they get bigger, it stays cold for a while where I live, they will be in a water melon box. :)

Would a metal end cow tank work for 30-40 chicks?
BE4_50130008C.jpg
It would depend on how big of a tank you use and how long you plan on them being in it. I have a 4 ft one with a welded wire lid that DH built for it. I start my chicks off in a smaller plastic bin for the first week then move them into the larger metal tank. I had a group of 6 chicks in it until they were 5-6 weeks old. It was definitely time for them to be outside at that point. Before that, I had a group of 10 chicks in it that had to be moved out earlier due to lack of room. So, maybe 2 chicks per foot of tank if you are going to keep them in it until they are feathered and ready to go outside.

Hello everyone!
I had several ideas about what to do for a brooder, then read someone's post about how they might use a dog crate ..... *ding!*..... we had a huge one in our garage I was about to list on craigslist! (FYI, it is 27" x 40" and we have 6 chicks) This was perfect for us, to protect the babies from our house dog and the two kids. I thought it might be useful for others to see how some of us have made a brooder and get some ideas, so I will start it out!

Here it is from the outside..... it is in our living room with the light mounted on the outside. As they have needed less heat I have slowly turned it to the left, lowering the temp each week.
IMGP0931.jpg

Here is the inside. Thermometer is on the left (not in photo though!). Food and water are on a 4x4 post scrap to get it up a bit so they dont poop in it, or get shavings in it. We still wash out the water every day. It is also in the back so it stays cooler. I screwed in screws to hang the oak branch in there and they love it. The chick flapping is one of the two who are competing for the Queen of the Pecking Order. They fight for who is on the roost, and she is clearly telling the other one to get off! We use the deep litter method, and so need the bit of cardboard in the front to prevent shavings from coming out the front! We also stir it up everyday.
IMGP0933.jpg

IMGP0935.jpg

And here is our huge Lab protecting the babies.........actually, he is scared of them and backs away when we get them close to him, but he wants to look at them!
IMGP0936.jpg

Can't wait to see everyone else's ideas!

I love the dog crate idea!

We have a large dog wire cage that we could probably stick in our entire 18 gallon tub (3 chicks)! It's only 9 degrees outside today in West Michigan, and I'm afraid to leave them in the garage. This is a great (and safe) alternative! Should keep the cats entertained too… ; )

I will post a picture as soon as we get our chickies!

I love the dog crate idea!

We have a large dog wire cage that we could probably stick in our entire 18 gallon tub (3 chicks)! It's only 9 degrees outside today in West Michigan, and I'm afraid to leave them in the garage. This is a great (and safe) alternative! Should keep the cats entertained too… ; )

This was my solution to creating a brooder. a 50 gal plastic tub on the back porch. The heat lamp is solidy clamped to the work bench next to it. I cut out the lid and put door screen under it. I cut the screen longer and wider than the tub so when the lid is clamped in place it holds the screen in. Feeder is a flip top model. I still need to line the bottom with some hay but, other than that, it's ready for the chicks. Don't be concerned about the bottles in the backround, there just different vegetable oils.

Back
Top Bottom