BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

I built this brooder a few months ago. The top part has 3 sections with removable dividers with pans under each one filled with shredded paper. The lower part is used for older chicks so they will have more room and a roost. I just completed this part and still lack the sheet metal dropping pans, that's the reason for the feed sacks.

Here is an in-progress shot of my new brooder. It is made of reclaimed pallet wood and the bottom and lower sides are lined with coroplast to make it easier to clean. (The coroplast was lining some of the pallets before they were dismantled.)

I'm waiting on a thermostat I ordered and then I'll be wiring the heat lamp at one end and building the lid to prevent escapes. I also want to make a solid axle for the wheels as I am worried that simply bolting them to the legs like the current configuration is going to break the legs eventually.

Here it is. This is our first time. Are we missing anything besides the chicks and feed?

Might want to use paper towel instead of newspaper, as newspaper can be slippery and cause leg problems.

I don't think that light is going to work well.
It might way too hot for the small space and only one end of the brooder should be heated so they can regulate their temperature.
How many chicks are you planning to put in there.......the brooder is maybe 2' x 3-4'?

Here's my notes on chick heat:
They need to be pretty warm(~85F on the brooder floor right under the lamp) for the first day or two, especially if they have been shipped, until they get to eating, drinking and moving around well. But after that it's best to keep them as cool as possible for optimal feather growth and quicker integration to outside temps. A lot of chick illnesses are attributed to too warm of a brooder. I do think it's a good idea to use a thermometer on the floor of the brooder to check the temps, especially when new at brooding, later I still use it but more out of curiosity than need.

The best indicator of heat levels is to watch their behavior:
If they are huddled/piled up right under the lamp and cheeping very loudly, they are too cold.
If they are spread out on the absolute edges of the brooder as far from the lamp as possible, panting and/or cheeping very loudly, they are too hot.
If they sleep around the edge of the lamp calmly just next to each other and spend time running all around the brooder they are juuuust right!

The lamp is best at one end of the brooder with food/water at the other cooler end of the brooder, so they can get away from the heat or be under it as needed. Wattage of 'heat' bulb depends on size of brooder and ambient temperature of room brooder is in. Regular incandescent bulbs can be used, you might not need a 'heat bulb'. You can get red colored incandescent bulbs at a reptile supply source. A dimmer extension cord is an excellent way to adjust the output of the bulb to change the heat without changing the height of the lamp.

Last edited:
we will have 8-10 in there for the first 4 weeks or so. The temp in there (says the thermometer) is around 87ish… After they are feathered out some, we plan on using a large wire framed dog kennel for a couple of weeks until it is ok for them to go outside. I've heard that you should watch them and adjust for the temperature control but i also heard that you should set up the environment for a week or so prior to their arrival. I hung the thermometer on the wall inside the box. The bulb is a red 250watt. I was recommended to get that one by a few people.

we will have 8-10 in there for the first 4 weeks or so. The temp in there (says the thermometer) is around 87ish… After they are feathered out some, we plan on using a large wire framed dog kennel for a couple of weeks until it is ok for them to go outside. I've heard that you should watch them and adjust for the temperature control but i also heard that you should set up the environment for a week or so prior to their arrival. I hung the thermometer on the wall inside the box. The bulb is a red 250watt. I was recommended to get that one by a few people.
You really want your lamp to hang as straight down as possible.

Put the thermometer on the floor of the brooder closest to the lamp, see what the temp is......
.......then put it on the floor of the brooder farthest from the lamp, should be about 10-15 degree F difference.

Again...a dimmer extension cord will help with adjusting output of lamp.

@aart - I have placed an order for chicks to arrive in April but am trying to start gathering all my supplies for the brooder. This being a very long thread, I jumped to the end and found your very useful information on heat. Thanks so much for sharing, I will definitely be taking notes from that!!

Neat brooders but I still do things the old fashion way like this

My 2 month old cream crested leg bar does the work for me... LOL

Ours is a 6' x 2.5' x 2' packing crate that I got from work left over from some delivered parts. I made a hinged top and a removable divider that can easily slide out for more room when they get older. It used to be a duck house before we go rid of the ducks, see the door on the left that is now screwed shut. We have definitely gotten use out of this old box.

Back
Top Bottom