BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

Pics
I basically took 4' x 8' sheets of plywood and cut them in half. Then I cut two of the 4' x 4' sections in half, again. I laid a 4' x 4' section down for the floor and used the 2' x 4' sections for the walls. I used another 2' x 4' section as a divider for the 4' x 4' area. I can start out with a smaller area and make it larger for the chicks as they grow.

24887_img_0282.jpg
24887_img_0292.jpg

I nailed a couple of boards on one side of the brooder for the lamps to attach to. I can raise and lower the lamps to adjust the temperature, this way. The lamps are 250w red lights. I understand that red lights are better to keep the chicks from pecking each other (a bad habit). There are thermometers in the bottom of the brooder, at chick height, to monitor the temps. But, in reality the birds should tell me whether it's too hot or too cold by the way the huddle under the lamps or move away from them.

24887_img_0283.jpg

I raised the whole thing up about a foot off the garage floor to keep the cold floor from making the box colder. The temperature at night, right now is in the upper 30's or low 40's. Daytime high is barely in the 50's.

24887_img_0286.jpg

I filled the bottom of the brooder with about 3" of pine wood shavings. Then I cut the bottoms off of three of my little white extract buckets (used for beer making). The openings on the top of these buckets was perfect for sitting the feeders and waterer in. This raised the feeders and waterer off the bedding floor by about 4" or 5". Hopefully, this will keep them a little cleaner.

24887_img_0294.jpg

When they get a little bigger, I am going to attach a wire mesh top to keep them from jumping out.

24887_img_0297.jpg

3 levels that are 2'x4'
24 square foot

2, 1/2'' 4x8 sheets of plywood
2, 1x4 boards
3, 1x2 boards
3 18"x24" sheets of plexiglass cut to size
4' of 36" window screen
4, handles for easy carry
6, knobs for sliding doors

Its window screen and sliding plexiglass doors on the front
23869_brooder_018.jpg

the plexiglass doors slide in grooves cut with a table saw.
23869_brooder_006.jpg

detail of the lighting
23869_brooder_016.jpg

We just figured we would start with the plastic tubs that were deep and long. so we put a few inches of wood shavings, and got a lamp (that we need to replace) a thermometer, and food and water. they just run around in it, and we love to see the little shadows race across the side of it.
chicks010.jpg

chicks001.jpg

chicks002.jpg

this is our first flock ever, and we are super excited. they have already made us smile and can tell the personallity of a few of them. one is kind of small, but is very persistant on the beek pecking.

I moved my 6 chicks (4 days old) from their temporary 10 gallon rubber tote brooder to their brand new 45 gallon one today. They were so funny running from one side to the other, while doing a little wing flapping, when I first put them in it.
smile.png

They went from this...
3371062720_02ee1e6f76.jpg

to this...
3374043953_23cbf51462.jpg

Here is my brooder. This picture is new, the chicks in the picture are of my first week old hatchlings!

6363_brooder1.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
ScrmnWoody my brooder is exactly like yours. I even lifted it off the ground. What I did for the top was put another 4x4 piece of OSB and cut about a 2x2 square out to hang the lamp through. Then when they are older and jumping the lamp will be higher out of the brooder so I will then attach a screen to the top. My chicks will be here this week so I will get to try it out. I will try and post some pics of it.

Back
Top Bottom