BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

Pics
Others who have made their own brooders inspired me to do the same for my banties.

I started them in a small rabbit cage, then used a galvanized waterer but wanted to provide more room.

I had free pallets I had gotten last year off Craigslist, so used one as the base then cut left over 1/2" plywood to fit the pallet. Used 2 x 3's in the corners to screw the plywood sides to.

Added wood pellets for bedding and I've got myself a banty brooder and still have all my fingers. (that big saw scares me).

Still need to make a top with hardware cloth maybe. Baby gate is working fine.

My new homemade banty brooder - love the wood pellets as bedding. Smells good and dries out the poo within minutes. Doesn't get in the food or water.
24846_banty_brooder.jpg

Old brooder - it was ok but wanted more room. Hated the peat moss as bedding. Gets kicked up in the food and water. Chicks LOVE to take dust baths in it though
24846_brooder_006.jpg

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ :

Others who have made their own brooders inspired me to do the same for my banties.

I started them in a small rabbit cage, then used a galvanized waterer but wanted to provide more room.

I had free pallets I had gotten last year off Craigslist, so used one as the base then cut left over 1/2" plywood to fit the pallet. Used 2 x 3's in the corners to screw the plywood sides to.

Added wood pellets for bedding and I've got myself a banty brooder and still have all my fingers. (that big saw scares me).

Still need to make a top with hardware cloth maybe. Baby gate is working fine.

My new homemade banty brooder - love the wood pellets as bedding. Smells good and dries out the poo within minutes. Doesn't get in the food or water.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/24846_banty_brooder.jpg

Old brooder - it was ok but wanted more room. Hated the peat moss as bedding. Gets kicked up in the food and water. Chicks LOVE to take dust baths in it though
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/24846_brooder_006.jpg

what are wood pellets?​

I started the chicks out in a big tupperware bin that was 20" wide by 36" long and 18" high. I soon had to split the 12 chicks up between 2 big bins as they outgrew it and this weekend I had to make them a bigger one yet til they can go out to their new coop in 3 more weeks.

This one is made of 2 uhaul wardrobe boxes slide together (82" long 25" wide, 24" high) and taped, the 'top' section as it is lying on its side. Then I took some scrap lumber and screwed together two quick frames and staple gunned hardware cloth to it to be the tops (and since it is hardware cloth I can put the warming lamp right on ie (have a 100 watt bulb in now)

Put plastic trash bags inside along the bottom and then sandwiched that in with a layer of cardboard that I cut out from the top, then the bedding/shavings on top fo the cardboard.

They squawked a ton when I put them in (oh no, new space, will we die from it?). I had been using wood pellets as bedding in their first brooder. This was so big I used the wood shavings, but it is really dusty with those and they started digging like crazy so I added a layer of the wood pellets on top to keep it down. I'll get more on my next feedstore trip.

Since they were in separate brooders for awhile I have a 'window' of hardware cloth between them right now and will try them together in a few days.

They now love this space with all the new room. They can even fly a little in it.

IMG_2557.jpg

IMG_2559.jpg

Last edited:
27715_100_4278.jpg

I'm not sure if this will work or not, but if so, this is our new brooder! My DH helped me yesterday and I'm thrilled with the results! It is 2' x 5' (inside dimensions) and hopefully will house my first incubation attempt which is due on 5/15.
fl.gif
fl.gif

(YEAH!! It worked!!)

I had to laugh when looking back at the photo and seeing the leaf blower hanging on the wall... I should have said "blower ready for if they get too warm or too loug"!! LOL!

Last edited:
That's a nice one, Garden Gal. I just got mine ready tonight (chicks should be here next week). I decided to go with big cardboard boxes as I don't think I'll be doing this again (famous last words!) so don't really need anything more permanent.

Your's looks just like a guinea pig pen we had (was an old rabbit home) years ago, which I'd forgotten all about and which would work perfectly. I just texted my son to ask his dad whatever became of it. It's probably long gone but you never know. Thanks for the reminder!

Oh, I am so excited! All these brooders are so great and the chicks are so adorable! We're getting our first 6 girls June 5, so I'm getting everything ready at last.
smile.png
I'll post 'em when I get 'em! Thanks to everyone for all the wonderful ideas.... my brain is swimming!

Back
Top Bottom