BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

Thanks! They love running around and even look like little airplanes doing mini takeoffs...now I need to get started on their coop & run.
tongue.png

The dumpster I found the wood & cardboard in was behind an appliance store; it ended up being 6ft x 6ft. I've never built anything in my life, so DH told me to just get those metal angle do-hickeys for the corners (they're awesome!), some door hinges (he said I put them in upside down - but hey, it works!), and a latch. He gave me a bag of wood screws and his cordless drill and told me to go for it (he had to go to work)!

yall have some really great brooders. I guess the pressure is on now. I can't build mine on my own cause I need to use a saw. We start this weekend. Wish us luck!

My husband and I are getting some chicks, we are new to this so I have a question about a brooding box.

Our chicks should arrive sometime in June....we live in Alabama so summer is HOT and humid. I am trying to figure out where our brooding box should be. I am worried the chicks will melt if we put the brooding box outside in the their coop or in my husband's outbuilding. There is no conditioned air in either space....

Any suggestions? Should we keep them inside our house until they can be turned out into the coop so they don't get overheated? The temps in the coop and outbuilding can easily reach 100 degrees even with the windows open and a fan running.

I am pretty much clueless which is a shame since I have lived on a 120 acre farm all of my life!
hmm.png

our brooder was a big plastic container as well untill we discovered chicks could fly.... i d always been told chickens couldnt fly. LOL!now they have a nice place in the garage, with a hardware cloth roof!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom