BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

You're going to need a bigger box!
Moved to the bigger brooder! Currently outside enjoying the shade, it's 26c here today
20200529_141743.jpg

My brooder is a brinsea is worth the investment ! I kept it in the coop till this last week just in case the needed it. They are nine weeks old now. I put them outside at 6 weeks and there were still some cool nights. Now I am fighting the heat battle.
Chickens are a lot more work and effort than I ever imagined

Attachments

• 61012397466__68F1CD21-55BA-45D1-8BEB-593B11289C24.JPG
    61012397466__68F1CD21-55BA-45D1-8BEB-593B11289C24.JPG
    639 KB · Views: 63
IMG_4499.JPG
IMG_4498.JPG

This was 3 weeks ago, The little heater in with the yellow birds (CX) was only in there 2 days. Its warm enough for them to huddle for heat but the first 2 days they acted cold on arrival and they arrived during an unseasonably cold mid June. The Barred birds are a bit older and arrived earlier during a warm spell and they had enough feathers to survive when the cold spell came through. I do use gallon jugs of water that collect heat during the day and disperse it at night. I actually took those out yesterday because its hot now and they can survive the short nights by huddling. These brooders are inside an old coop that I am in the middle of dismantling but these 2 sections will remain until these birds get older.

3B94F8E1-E363-432B-9499-5D2B4FE4DF99.jpeg
This brooder is actually the cage we use for young quail. Since this time it will be chickens, I have 2 heat lamps and pine shavings for warmth. Shelf liner to help little claws with traction. To start out I've blocked off half of the cage with a cardboard wall so itā€™s only about 3x4 feet. No marbles in the waterer for chickens, right?
Did I miss anything?

Thanks @ChickLover21 !

First time hatching chickens in a very long time. Iā€™ll leave one lamp off and just watch for cold huddling. The marbles are back in the waterer too. Now I just have to be patient for a few more days til hatch time! šŸ˜

Back
Top Bottom