Brooder to coop in the heat

SillyKlucker

Chirping
Jul 12, 2020
Hi everyone!
I’m wondering if there is something extra I should do when I put my chicks in the coop because of the nashville heat this time of year (90-100 degrees). Do the same as adult chickens that are in the heat? I’ve been letting them outside during the day for a few hours at a time this week to start adjusting. They will be going into the coop in about a weekish 😬. Depending on how much work I get done. Ha. They are almost 6 weeks old.

Ours are 6 weeks old too, and we're just finishing their outside run ready to put them out in the coop this week. It's 90's here and they're in the brooder in our garage - it's been 80+ degrees in there and i've been fretting about that today - I put a fan close to their brooder box, but not sure whether it's making much difference. We don't have electric to our coop, so won't be able to use a fan out there. I did read putting gallon water jugs with frozen water in the coop might cool things down, but not sure whether that is effective (or a good idea) or not

Ours are 6 weeks old too, and we're just finishing their outside run ready to put them out in the coop this week. It's 90's here and they're in the brooder in our garage - it's been 80+ degrees in there and i've been fretting about that today - I put a fan close to their brooder box, but not sure whether it's making much difference. We don't have electric to our coop, so won't be able to use a fan out there. I did read putting gallon water jugs with frozen water in the coop might cool things down, but not sure whether that is effective (or a good idea) or not
I put an old oven broiler pan in the run with a big block of ice. They stand on the ice to cool off. 95 degrees, they are 5 weeks old now and have been outside without any heat for a week. Freeze the bottle of water, take off the lid and lay it on it's side in the roasting pan, they stand in the melted cool water and drink it. The frozen container cools the metal and they get cool just perching on the side of the pan.

I put an old oven broiler pan in the run with a big block of ice. They stand on the ice to cool off. 95 degrees, they are 5 weeks old now and have been outside without any heat for a week. Freeze the bottle of water, take off the lid and lay it on it's side in the roasting pan, they stand in the melted cool water and drink it. The frozen container cools the metal and they get cool just perching on the side of the pan.
Thanks! I shall try that once they are in their coop and run.

Back
Top Bottom