Brooder Venting Designs?

WalnutTree

Songster
Jun 26, 2020
WA Seattle
There are many ways you can design the amount of air a brooder gets .
And I... Dont know what to do!
So far I have 6 brooder ideas quickly sketched on a notepad.
I'd like to know what everyone else has done and if they're anything like my designs?
I'll be making a permanent brooder in our shed (stays the same temperature as outside) and our WA weather is spring/summer is usually 70-90°F.
I'll be getting my chicks in April 2021.
Here are the photos of my brooder ideas.
0802201710.jpg

0802201710a.jpg

I have had good success with large vents on top and small vents lower down, as in #2 and #5. Chicken poop releases ammonia which is lighter than air and will rise up in the box and needs a way out, so I would put some sort of venting in the top.

Awesome to know!! thank you all for your answers! I think I'll be making #5, Because the summers are usually pretty hot, hopefully this will work!
My last question is if this would be predator proof enough? Sense it would be kept in our shed?

2 by 4 (this may change) for the structure, hardware cloth for the vents\doors, and plywood for the sides.
This is what the shed looks like;
0803201515a.jpg

It's in the shade of our forest, by the road (but mostly hidden).

Last edited:
Such a beautiful setting! I am not an expert on predator-proofing by any stretch. I would suggest a new post in the Coop Design & Maintenance forum specifically asking for feedback on predator-proofing. There are many experts there and probably some from your area who are also familiar with the specific predators near you. It would also depend on how secure the shed is.

What you described would definitely work for me, though, where I am in California.

If you're using it inside the shed, you might use the 2x4's and harware cloth for the top and sides, but skip plywood entirely (plywood floor OK.)

For the first few days, put pieces of cardboard inside the hardware cloth to block drafts. As the chicks get bigger, remove a piece of cardboard every few days, so it's all gone by the time they're 1-2 weeks old.

Fresh air is really important. Also, it's easier to add cardboard or plywood later than it is to rip it off and add more hardware cloth.

And hardware cloth for the sides also makes it more useful if you need to separate an injured bird, or a broody hen, or introduce a new bird gradually to others.

Is the shed where you house adult chickens too, or do they have a separate coop?

Back
Top Bottom