Brooder warming, any less incendiary options than light bulbs?

sksmass

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 18, 2010
Massachusetts
I am getting my chicks in a month and starting to build their brooder. I know the standard advice is to leave light bulbs, either special heating ones or just normal household ones, on pretty much 24/7 for the first several weeks. But frankly, the thought of leaving a white-hot bulb poised above highly flammable woodchips and cardboard when I am not home scares the dickens out of me. If something were to go wrong, poof, there goes your house.

Am I the only one who feels this paranoid? Are there any less incendiary options for maintaining chick warmth? Options that come with less risk of burning your house down?

well, you could use your tub instead of a cardboard box....or an aquarium....I've brooded many and the light really shouldn't be that close or it would toast chickies....
smile.png
....use a low wattage bulb with one of those aluminum hoods on it and hang it a good foot, foot and a half above them.....it may take some experimenting but you will feel much better before you have to leave them....

Yes. Check at the pet store for reptile warmers. There are "bulbs" that use heating elements instead of light bulbs. They are lower watts...don't know if they would work as well but would be worth a look.

Back
Top Bottom