Brooder- What Sized Rubber Tub?

koakritters

Songster
8 Years
Jan 27, 2011
Petaluma
I went to look at tubs today at Kmart since i'm thinking i need to make another brooder soon... more hatching on sunday hopefully and these guys still arn't sold!!!
sad.png
most of the tubs seemed really small, and the ones that were more gallons just went up higher and didn't add to floor space. what size do you use? I didn't come home with any since they all seemed too small for them to be in.

My rubbermaid tub is 46 gallons. It works well for small babies, but they can't stay in it for long unless I have just a few. I usually try to move them outside with a heat lamp as soon as I possibly can. Sometimes I also use my daughters old playpen as a brooder, it offers much more space. Its a thought if your not really set on the tub, and you can find them cheap at yard sales and such. But it is a pain to clean, the tub is much easier in that aspect. Good luck.

I used a 31 gallon rubbermaid, it was fine for 3 chicks until they were 6 weeks old - then it got cramped. You probably have more than that so a 31 gallon would only be good for a few weeks.

Honestly...the bigger, the better!!! We had 6 chicks in ours for about 5 weeks and it was really pushing it...The one I found was a LONG one at Walmart.....had never seen them there before. I think it was 49 gallon.

i used a 35 gal tub for the couple weeks then it got crowded...but for $30 is able to build a new brooder that was 28"x48"x18"

I have a 110 gallon black plastic stock tank, costs about $80 at the feed store, very heavy, very sturdy, about 4 ft long at bottom but close to 30 inches wide. I use it for other stuff, but for an emergency large brooder in a barn, it would work.

I made a great brooder out of a small kids swimming pool and a large cardboard box. I untaped/flattened a large box and made it into a circle which fits perfectly into the pool perimeter. I even used a piece of clear vinyl plastic and duct tape to make a large window on the front. I used it for my chickens last year and am using it again for my new batch this year. Perfect for 2-6 birds! I just fill the floor with shavings.

Here's an old pic from last year's batch... Did I mention it was basically FREE!?

75545_232323232fp5374nu3292558875wsnrcg348953977732-nu0mrj.jpeg

Last edited:
My brooder is a big black 110 gallon watering trough from TSC It's pretty big and tall, and gives the chicks plenty of room to run around. I think it cost around $50, and it was well worth it.

Quote:
That's what mine is, exacty! (Don'tcha love yours, Gypsi?) I'd recommend one for sure...But I think mine may have cost less...either 50 or 60 dollars.....

Back
Top Bottom