Broodies: advice needed asap

Ginmary

Crowing
6 Years
Apr 17, 2018
Jackson, NJ
So, I have a large old chair in the chicken room (yeah, chicken room...don't ask- another topic, as in broken coop outside) that I am trying to disassemble to get it out to the garbage. My white Silkie decided to brood on the chair in the fluff I took out of it. The Seramas were dutifully providing her with eggs since I only have a Serama roo. Then my brown Bantam Cochin decided that she needed company and has been brooding with her (more like under her). They have been like this since around March 22nd. (19 days) I have been removing the eggs daily since I cannot have any more chickens.
Here's the issue: We were gone for a few days. When we got back tonight I noticed a Serama hen missing from the roosting kennel, I found her sitting on 16 eggs!!! I candled and thankfully only 7 of them showed spidering. I can't get myself to destroy the eggs once they start developing. For now since it is late I gave her back the 7 eggs. So, I would prefer to give the eggs to the Silkie and Cochin. My question is: have they been broody too long already, 19 days? If I give them the eggs now, will they stop being broody before the hatch occurs? Or should the eggs remain with the Serama? Here are some pics of the Silkie and Cochin:
Broodies 1.jpg Broodies 4.jpg Broodies 1.jpg Broodies 3.jpg

I am offering the chicks if any hatch on the New Jersey thread.

Attachments

• Broodies 4.jpg
    Broodies 4.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 4
I'm going to have to find a way to isolate the chair. In recent times one egg started to pip at night and in the morning there was no sign of the chick or even a piece of shell left. The other chickens ate the chick before I could get to it!

You can move broodies and relocate them but it's best to do it in the dark and to somewhere where they cannot see their old nest site. Then they wake up on their new nest and (usually) think that's where they've always been sitting.

S
So, I have a large old chair in the chicken room (yeah, chicken room...don't ask- another topic, as in broken coop outside) that I am trying to disassemble to get it out to the garbage. My white Silkie decided to brood on the chair in the fluff I took out of it. The Seramas were dutifully providing her with eggs since I only have a Serama roo. Then my brown Bantam Cochin decided that she needed company and has been brooding with her (more like under her). They have been like this since around March 22nd. (19 days) I have been removing the eggs daily since I cannot have any more chickens.
Here's the issue: We were gone for a few days. When we got back tonight I noticed a Serama hen missing from the roosting kennel, I found her sitting on 16 eggs!!! I candled and thankfully only 7 of them showed spidering. I can't get myself to destroy the eggs once they start developing. For now since it is late I gave her back the 7 eggs. So, I would prefer to give the eggs to the Silkie and Cochin. My question is: have they been broody too long already, 19 days? If I give them the eggs now, will they stop being broody before the hatch occurs? Or should the eggs remain with the Serama? Here are some pics of the Silkie and Cochin:
View attachment 2607962View attachment 2607966View attachment 2607970View attachment 2607971

I am offering the chicks if any hatch on the New Jersey thread.
Ive heard of people with chickens so intent on being broody that they never stop. They constantly sit on fake eggs until needed. Then after raising their chicks they go broody again! They will stay broody as long as it takes.

I just wanted to thank you for sharing those pictures. They made my night! Thanks again!
Thanks. I thought I was seeing things the first time I saw Coco under Daisy. Actually, in the pic where just her head is sticking out in the back, I thought Daisy had a blob of poop on her! Then when I reached toward it to wipe it, the "poop" screeched at me!
I'm going to try putting them in a box with the fluff in the same place they are. Then tonight I can move the entire box into s small coop that Is in the room.

Back
Top Bottom